1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

generac suspect

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Nitroman, Feb 8, 2004.

1. Nitroman

Nitroman LawnSite Member
    from indiana

I just bought my first ztr before the snow hit, best buy I ever made. I was torn between the dixie extreme mowchine(generac),
    and the supreme efi 28hr. kohler. At first I was sold on the idea of going 15mph with the extreme but carberator was running to lean. After a few nights of no sleep, I decided to go with the 28hr
    fuel injected Kohler 60" 11mph. I was wondering if any of you guys had any experances with dixie chopper's generac motors.
  2. Mac V2.0

Mac V2.0 LawnSite Member
    from Mid OH

before you here the "heresay" about everyones troubles, keep in mind that the 04 generacs are much revised versions of 03s...which were still good engines.
  3. Nitroman

Nitroman LawnSite Member
    from indiana

I did'nt think Dixie would use a pour motor but being a one man operation I thuoght I,d just wait and see what the Generac did with some time.

I loooove my chopper
  4. Sam-Ohio

Sam-Ohio LawnSite Senior Member
    from Ohio

I had experience with 2 Cub tanks with the 31 hp Generac and 72" mower this past year.

Unit A. got about 270 hrs. use and B. got 345 hrs. use. So neither engine has a whole lot of time on them. One engine sounded really bad. Turned out to be valve lash setting. After that was corrected, had zero problems from either engine.

The fuel injected Kohler that you finally settled on has been the subject of a number of discusions on this board. Why don't you do a search back in the archives for the experiences that some members have had with that engine.

Did your dealer give you any instructions or warnings about dealing with the FI Kohler ?
    Kohler is claiming that the majority of their problems were caused by poor grounding of the wire loom in their system. If you start to have any problems with it, look for a poorly attached or loose or corroded ground wire around the elec. fuel inj. system.

Also, if you ever have the battery go flat, DO NOT PUT A JUMPER CABLE, OR A CHARGER ON THE BATTERY until you have removed the units cables from the battery first. They claim that if you touch the battery post with a jumper cable clamp, and move it around and it sparks a bit as you loose contact, a big voltage spike can be generated in the system and it will blow the computer out of the fuel injection on the Kohler.

Hopefully Kohler has found the answers and fixed the problems that were in these engines last year and you won't have to go through what so many others experienced last year. [Good luck !]
  5. Albemarle Lawn

Albemarle Lawn LawnSite Bronze Member

Rudolph Diesel, that is.

Why fool with Gasoline engines anyways? The diesel has been invented....like 100 years ago.

No more gassers for me. Too thirsty. Too weak. Too fickle.

My next car will be the 2005 E320 CDI, now being imported to the states.

6. Nitroman

Nitroman LawnSite Member
    from indiana

very helpful samy, thanks
  7. Sam-Ohio

Sam-Ohio LawnSite Senior Member
    from Ohio

You neglected to mention too expensive to purchase, too hard to start in cold weather, too big a pain finding a station with diesel fuel, too fragile and subject to damage from lugging, too heavy, too expensive on parts [even filters], too little power per cu. inch.

If diesels could produce the power per cu. inch that gas engines do you would see a lot more diesel airplanes and race cars. And if you think gas engines don't hold up, why do I still see 60 year old Ford 9N tractors, and 50 year old Cub LO-Boy gas tractors running and mowing yet ? In fact nearly all the old farm tractors [every brand] were powered by gasoline and they are still being used by the tens of thousands in this country.

If Diesel engines were priced closer to gasoline engines, I would be more inclined to agree with you, but the purchase price difference is so great that I have a real hard time making the math come out on the side of the Diesel !