General Contractor Install Bid

Discussion in 'Landscape Architecture and Design' started by Green Gopher, Jan 10, 2005.

1. Green Gopher

Green Gopher LawnSite Member

We are in the process of bidding on a 100+ home install for a general contractor. It is our first time bidding on this large of a project and we are a little unclear about the GC's preferred method of bid/payment. Do they usually prefer a per house bid or total project bid? How do they usually pay - up front, per house, monthly? Can we ask for a down payment? Thank you.
  2. mbella

mbella LawnSite Bronze Member

You will probably get 10 different answers from 10 different contractors. I would go back to the GC and ask for clarification.

I will say don't expect to get any money upfront. Typical terms range from 15 to 30 days.

Also, I suggest speaking with subs that have worked for this GC in the past and find out what their experience has been with regard to payment/scheduling etc.
  3. Green Gopher

15-30 days after the start of the project? How do you suggest I reach other subs that have worked for this contractor? Unfortunately, there is a time constraint - they want their bid 1 week from the time of invitation. Any suggestions on per house versus total price?
  4. i_plant_art

i_plant_art LawnSite Senior Member

put in your contract on how YOU want to be paid not how THEY want to pay you. also if you know of some of the locations that they are working on just show up one day and talk to the people onsite. also check out to see if they might have a web site or somethign that have references on it. etc etc. i wouldnt recomend working for contractors unless you have a signed contract. it has burned me and other in the past w/o one. i only work that way now wiht anyone and only for a FEW contractors that i have a repor with. do it your way not theirs. if you do it their way then they say how it. you own your business now them,.
  5. mbella

mbella LawnSite Bronze Member

1. No, 15-30 days from the time I submit the invoice.

2. Drive to one of their projects and talk to some of the other subs.

3. Generally, we are asked to submit two bids. The first one is for total site work. This usually includes the following:
    a. Street Trees
    b. Any common area work (wetland plantings, tot lots, fencing, etc.)
    c. Anything not specific to a house

The second bid would be for a house package. These are items specific to a house:
    a. Foundation planting
    b. Walkway
    c. Rake and seed

I don't know what you're looking at or how this GC works. This is just my experience. What info. did the GC give you?
  6. sgallaher

sgallaher LawnSite Senior Member

I would bid per house. Do not go into detail about the types of plants . Just state x # of shrubs, x # of perennials, x amount of mulch, etc. Because you do not know what types of plants are available from the greenhouse at all times in the future. Also it would be wise to include a one year warranty and charge a little extra for it. Usually they want there bills every two weeks or once a month. Also state that each house will not be exactly the same install as the others, the installs will vary slightly for aesthetic reasons. also see if you can get a list of the names and addresses and phone numbers of the home buyers so that you can contact them for future work.
  7. The Good Earth

The Good Earth LawnSite Member

Before you do anything get with your attorney and find out how to protect your lien rights. File your notice of commencement, have all your suppliers retain all of their lien rights as well. If the GC is on the up and up you have nothing to worry about. But if the GC is like most that are in our neck of the woods the little time spent will be worth it's weight in gold. As long as you retain those lien rights and don't sign off on them they can't sell the first house that they are building.

We have a saying around here: Never met a General Contractor that didn't try to screw a Landscaper.
  8. cgland

cgland LawnSite Bronze Member

We have a saying around here: Never met a General Contractor that didn't try to screw a Landscaper

9. Green Gopher

Thank you all the help,

We will definitely be talking with our attorney (don't leave home without them). I am always wary of GC, But I also don't want to pass on large project. thanks jeremy.