General Contractors

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by TURFLORD, Jan 7, 2006.

TURFLORD LawnSite Senior Member

As a rule, I won't work for GC's. They're much too egotistical to tolerate. They would say that you work for them. Whereas you say they are your "client" or "customer". The main objective of some GC's is to do no actual work beyond the logistics of coordinating all the subs and marking up their invoices 15%. They find the cheapest crews and charge the most the market will bear and pay on 60 days so their money accrues that much more interest.
  2. Green-Pro

Green-Pro LawnSite Bronze Member

The GC I work with is not subbing the work out to me, he hooks me up with the homeowner and I deal directly with them on everything. I get paid directly by the homeowner, wouldn't have it any other way.
  3. mowerman90

mowerman90 LawnSite Bronze Member

You're absolutely right Turflord. General contractors are the reason I made the decision to bill all of my customers for monthly service in advance. I started this practice over 16 years ago after I had a GC screw me out of $1800 owed. So, looking back now, the GC may have actually done me a favor because I've never gotten shafted again. However, I WON'T work for any GC because of the possibility of it happening again and they're just SOOOOOOOOOOOoooo whiney about prices. Who needs'em?
  4. Branchland

Branchland LawnSite Senior Member

GC's are a pain to work for. And yes their main job is to hire the people to get the job done. They add the 15% to everything to get paid for finding and hiring the people to do the job, make sure the job is done, meets code, meets the owners expectations. I used to be a contractor doing mostly remoldeling work with my own crew so I really only subed out the electrical, plumbing and HAVC. And I did add my 15%. If something was wrong it came back to me not the sub.
  5. rodfather

rodfather LawnSite Fanatic

We only work with one GC and he is great. Money is always there by the 15th of the month.
  6. Branchland

Branchland LawnSite Senior Member

Some are. Especially the smaller independent ones. Glad you got a good one.
  7. rodzilla94

rodzilla94 LawnSite Member

OK i have been in commercial construction for 16 years full time my job is the superintendent it is my family's construction firm........OK some gc's don't get paid until the pay request is sent in to the architect then he pays that months bill "now remember some GC's don't get paid for three months at a time " it just depends on how the GC has it set up for the pay request but as far as saying you work for them then.......yes you do.... you sign a contract with them and guess what till you and your company gets done they have your contract period.... that means if you don't finish or walk off they can "GC's" can pull your bond if you have one or sue you and guess what the same lawyers they have also does Workman's comp. claims too. so watch your self because the GC has the means and power to do this... big and small companies