general herbacide

Discussion in 'Pesticide & Herbicide Application' started by Brendan Smith, Jul 5, 2006.

1. Brendan Smith

Brendan Smith LawnSite Bronze Member

ok, before the flaming starts, I'M DOING THIS IN MY OWN YARD!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    seriously!!!!!

i'm trying to kill vines/weeds/scrub trees which have grown up in my old garden area and it seems like glycophosphate (sp?) takes a couple of weeks even when mixed at double or triple the recommended concentration. is there anything quicker-acting that i can get? or do i just keep mixing it above the recommended amount? i'm sick of listening to my wife b**** about it, if i could get a flame-thrower, i would.

2. ArizPestWeed

ArizPestWeed LawnSite Bronze Member

Glyfosate(spelling correct) takes a couple of days to kill , the effects are not apparent for 10 days .
    Mix some 24d with it and "Presto" all dead

3. Chris@CRU

Chris@CRU LawnSite Member

Glyphosphate (spell check done through Monsato, manufacturer of said product, aka Round Up) will kill larger, aka woody weeds, dependent upon concentration, and size of plant. I treated 30 acres in Apopka, Florida, around and inside scrap steel/ equipment. I used Glyphosphate Pro. At a considerable savings over Round Up at the higher label rate. After nearly a week, five days I recall, 4 foot high oak saplings and large woody stalked weeds died. It took nearly 3 months for grow back to take place. 24D will enhance the kill time and effectiveness. This was the recommendation by a rep. from Forshaw Distribution. I did not include the 24D, but achieved the results I needed. I used a truck mounted sprayer and a JD9 style gun, sprayed to wet small weeds, larger weeds almost to run off.

4. Norm Al

Norm Al LawnSite Bronze Member

diesel fuel works fast

5. Brendan Smith

is that for use with or without said flamethrower :laugh: :laugh:

seriously, thanks to all for the quick replies. next time i'll add some 24d also.

i think i'll skip the diesel after reading what was said during my "bees" thread. don't feel like upending the defenders of the enviornment again.

6. MMLawn

MMLawn LawnSite Gold Member

As bad as I hate to agree with weezlehead, he's right. Add a little 2,4-D in with some RU Pro and that will do it. The 24D should give you a "quick" burn. You could also add some Garlon if you had it, but it is also labeled for commercial use not residential, but since it is your own home......well.....

7. ArizPestWeed

ArizPestWeed LawnSite Bronze Member

Hmm, you HATE to agree , I'm enjoy to agree , but , that's just me :drinkup:

8. Brendan Smith

mike - is garlon a lowe's or home cheapo item? the closest lesco is at the beach which is 1 1/2 hrs away.

9. MMLawn

MMLawn LawnSite Gold Member

Naw they wouldn't have it. I'm also not sure because I'm licensed so all of the places I buy chemicals from know that and have a copy on file, so Garlon "may" be a restricted use pesticide which requires licensing to buy it.

10. Norm Al

Norm Al LawnSite Bronze Member

just order your stuff by mail,,,,,you dont have to drive there.