general lawn questions

Discussion in 'Turf Renovation' started by Tapr Lawn Care, May 26, 2008.

1. Tapr Lawn Care

Tapr Lawn Care LawnSite Member

hi guys, I'm loving business this year, it's really picking up for me. However I still have many questions on lawn maintenance that I know you pros have the answer for.

1. I am curious what you guys charge for grass fertilizing service. I spring fertilized a lawn using 2 bags of C-I-L golf green ferilizer, and this job took me one hour. I am happy to say the grass looks great although I haven't charged for the service yet, I wondered what you would charge for what I have done?

2. I have a customer that wants to put top soil on some exposed tree roots, I think this would be ok and not kill the tree, am i right?

3. Another customer, has about 100 square feet of yard where they would like the grass to start growing, last year i put down seed and a lot of top soil but it's not doing very well, mostly the weeds have taken over. It's a rather shady area but I know the grass can grow there. Should I use a grass that can grow in shady areas? or maybe a fertilizer? I don't want to spend too much on this but I would like it to grow.

2. milkie62

milkie62 LawnSite Senior Member

I don't know what people expect but someone in a 500-600k house asked me to give them a price on fertilizing and grub control.I measured lawn with my rolling stick and it came out to about 35000 sq ft. So I figured everything on the 20000 sq ft bag.Fertilizer came to $90 with tax and grub killer came to $107 with tax.I added 2hr labor @ $45/hr---$90.So I rounded up to $300 per application.I called her with the price of $300 per application and she asked if that was for 3 applications.Apparently she does not know her prices.