1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

general pricing for basic dirt work

Discussion in 'Heavy Equipment & Pavement' started by slowleak1, Jun 6, 2009.

1. slowleak1

slowleak1 LawnSite Senior Member

is there any price per cubic yard or something similar for spreading dirt? or price per load maybee? i'm looking at doing a job right now and need some prices.
  2. YellowDogSVC

YellowDogSVC LawnSite Gold Member
    from TX

What does your market support? What type of machine will you be using? How good are you? All of that info and your costs, etc., will need to be determined. If your dirt is cheap that may help keep the job price down.
  3. Scag48

Scag48 LawnSite Fanatic

Yeah, we need a little more info to help you out. If there was a basic number for everything, everyone would be doing dirt work! :cool2: Welcome to the game!
  4. slowleak1

gonna be using a skidsteer. about 8 loads of sand, just smoothing out some areas after construction. probably about 6" of fill in the highest spots and 16" in the lower spots. dirt is about $65 a load. its a pretty basic job, all in all about 1500 square feet.
  5. AWJ Services

AWJ Services LawnSite Platinum Member
    from Ga

To Bucket smooth it should take less than an hour.
    Really hard to get a full days pay out of that job but I have a 300 dollar min so it would be at least that.
  6. Scag48

Scag48 LawnSite Fanatic

As AWJ said, most guys have minimums as that definately isn't a full day worth of work. Depending on your skill level and the tolerances you'll be working with, it should take anywhere from 1-3 hours to complete if all the material is on site
  7. 2109 Stang

2109 Stang LawnSite Member

Square feet don't mean anything, you've got to figure cubic feet ,and 8 loads your talking about pick up truck loads right?
  8. Gravel Rat

Gravel Rat LawnSite Fanatic

When you say load you have to also say what size of load you could be talking about a mason dump to a tandem axle dump etc.

Here 8 loads would be 96 yards of material your not going to be spreading that in a couple hours.

You might aswell do like the rest of the equipment owners are doing and that is working for just the cost of fuel.

You must have a regular per hour rate for your machine find out what the going rate is in your area.

Every area is different you could be 65 dollars per hour in your state and the next state over is 75 dollars per hour and the other state next to you has gone mexican and charging 25 dollars per hour.
  9. slowleak1

thanks gravel rat. i didnt know if you charged by the amount of dirt your spreading or by the hour. i was thinking on charging whatever each load of dirt costs x2. if one load costs $100 i would charge $200. i kinda like the hourly thing, but im new to this and dont wanna charge too little time or too much.

i'm going to go measure how much dirt its gonna need and base my decision on that. might even do something like 1 hour charged per load.

oh and by loads i meant single axle dump truck. about 10-12 yards.
  10. AWJ Services

AWJ Services LawnSite Platinum Member
    from Ga

8 tandem loads here will be about 100 to 130 yards and yes I would spread and smooth 8 loads in an hour( no more than 2 hours) unless the material could not be dumped on site.

What type of skid steer are you using?