General pricing for lawn mowing.

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by mowemdown, Apr 5, 2002.

1. mowemdown

mowemdown LawnSite Member

I am preparing for when I finnally start my lawn care company. The main problem I have is how do I come up with an estimate. How much to charge for different services. Mainly mowing and trimming. Do I chrge by hour or lump sum or according to square foot. Any help would be appreciated.:dizzy:

2. 65hoss

65hoss LawnSite Fanatic

So many factors and different part of the country to really answer. You would probably be well served to find someone on this site that is in your area that might be willing to give you some help. If not, maybe stop and ask some out working and see what they might be willing to offer.

Working based on time or flat amount depends more on the job at hand. Some things are better suited to each. But in either way you really need some experience and historical data to work with.

Start searching the archives and read everything possible to help get an idea of what your looking at. Do your homework now before you get in to far over your head.

Welcome to lawnsite.

3. Soupy

Soupy LawnSite Gold Member

What 65hoss said. Find out what the current market value is in your area. It can be anywere from around $30/hr to $100/hr. I can tell you this. Their isn't no worse feeling then when you Bid jobs on the $30/hr scale just to find out later that most get $60 and more. once you get a few under your belt. You will be able to just look at a lawn and say well That's about the size of so and so's lawn and charge the same price. I have found that this works best for me. becasue that same size lawn might take half the trimming time. before you know it you will be makeing more then your hourly rate.

Soupy

4. robert fling

robert fling LawnSite Member

i find the best way to figure out what is going on in your area is to call a whole bunch of people to give you bids on YOUR property. after you have 10 or 15 bids for clean ups or maintenance you get a real good idea of what people are charging in your area. you can also weed out the scrubs by the estimates alone. a professional company will have a nice looking estimate form, a scrub will have your estimate scribbled on a napkin from where he ate lunch! (dont laugh i'm not kidding). good luck!

5. mowemdown

mowemdown LawnSite Member

:D Thanks guys you have helped me out alot. I appreate it.