1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

General pricing questions.

Discussion in 'Irrigation' started by A1Lawns, May 31, 2007.

1. A1Lawns

A1Lawns LawnSite Member

Hey all. Hope business is going well for everyone out there so far this season.

I might get into irrigation but just wanted to ask about how much can one make for installing a system for a 5,000-10,000 square foot lawn? Just looking for a ballpark price for these sizes. By "make", I mean, what is you, the owners, bottom line NET income for these jobs?
    Any input would be much appreciated.
    Craig :drinkup: :usflag:

Is it Fall yet?
  2. 1500.00/zone
  3. Wet_Boots

Wet_Boots LawnSite Fanatic

give or take :p
  4. bicmudpuppy

bicmudpuppy LawnSite Silver Member

you want to MAKE money on the install?? You don't understand how this works. Irrigation is a SERVICE industry. You can't service what doesn't exist, so you must do installs. Best case scenario w/ qualified help doing a fantastic job, you MIGHT get lucky and see a small profit. Don't expect the 10% manufacturing companys shoot for though, and FORGET that gravy you've been getting running a lawn care buisness. Install a few hundred systems without losing more than your lawn care profit for four or five years, and NOW you get to cash in. Service is the cash cow in this buisness. Be the very best of the best and you can make a living at it. Hit the right market niche and you might even get to live a level or two below where you would like to become accustomed to living. Geesh, this buisness involves dirt and water. (that becomes MUD) Didn't anyone ever explain to these pups "you'll never get rich digging a ditch"????

On the other hand, repairing the ditch can be quite profitable:cool2:
  5. DanaMac

DanaMac LawnSite Fanatic

Hey don't talk down to him, you might get deleted!! :) Sorry Michael Donovan, had to do it.
  6. DanaMac

DanaMac LawnSite Fanatic

"The world will always need ditch diggers Danny"

Once again, Ted Knight, Caddyshack
  7. Michael J. Donovan

Michael J. Donovan Head Moderator, Online Communities Staff Member

Thanks DanaMac - lol...it's not so much talking down to people, but when members resort to the name calling and respond to the "pups" or new guys by tearing them a new one rather then trying to assist them that really becomes a problem.

these "pups", for the most part, seem to be trying to learn from the more experienced guys and gals on here and I think sometimes we all need to remember that everyone has to start somewhere.

Thanks again...have a good one
  8. Mike Leary

Mike Leary LawnSite Fanatic

Jeez, we miss the fun stuff! Not having seen any of the "conversation", I can't
    comment....BUT...jamming on the pups is what you do to "weed out the weak
    ones", ROTAR is coming along (sort of, now he thinks I'm stalkin' him), so
    we got to be somewhat carefull, but coming from someone who I've read
    their posts & threads.....I don't see too much harm in the internet 2 x 4.:hammerhead:
  9. BSME

BSME LawnSite Senior Member
    from Midwest

One day I'm going to get rich digging these ditches... and then I'll buy you a beer Bic
  10. CAPT Stream Rotar

CAPT Stream Rotar LawnSite Fanatic

I support this Quote...Well done Mike.....