general purpose schedule

Discussion in 'Organic Lawn Care' started by Mike M, Jun 30, 2007.

1. Mike M

Mike M LawnSite Bronze Member
    from usa

Is there one, two, or maybe just three products one could use as a general schedule for organic fertilizer applications? Assume, that is, that the soil I work with is not deficient in anything at any critical levels.

I've been thinking of using something like Milorganite (sp?) or the product Lesco has (can't remember it, but I was told it's their answer to Milorganite). I also need to figure out how far apart my applications should be.

On centipede grass (warm season turf grass) the schedule for fertilizer is Apr/May, and again in the summer. Anything too early or late will promote fungus like brown patch.

I am assuming that the two applications referred to by the county extension are scheduled as 6 week slow-release chemical fertilizers.

So I am wondering how often I should apply the Milorganite or similar product, and what other supplements I should provide, as a general rule of thumb (like iron plus, etc.). From there, I can read and learn about how to help soils that have specific deficiencies, and what I can use for controls.

Thank you so much!

Mike M

2. Mike M

from usa

Okay, I found the manufacturer's (Milorganite) recommendations in the "Log Book" file which is downloadable from their site. Page 18 has good info, etc.

I am on warm season turf grass, and need to find a way to get Potasium to the roots. Milorganite is 6-2-0. The iron is great 4%.

Could someone tell me what you use to compensate for the potasium?

Thanks,

Mike

3. mdlwn1

mdlwn1 LawnSite Silver Member

I don't know but I love milorganite. In sandy soils we know it as a cure all.

4. mdlwn1

mdlwn1 LawnSite Silver Member

5. Mike M

from usa

Yeah, you need a lot, but they say they sell it in 1,000 lb bags with a dispensor. I just don't know where I'll find the 1,000 lb bags. LOL. I guess I'd have to find a distributer with deliveries. Do you think they sell that FOB from the manufacturer or something?

Still looking into what I should use for Potassium.

Mike

6. Mike M

from usa

Before carrying large quantities of organic potassium to your garden, have the soil tested. If the potassium level is above 300 pounds per acre, no additional potassium is required. If it is below that, use granite dust, greensand, wood ash, or horse, cattle, or poultry manure as a source of potassium.

Okay, this is what I'm finding while googling, but I just need to know the names of products which are pelletized for my spreader, and available by shipment or better yet, at a distributer like Lesco.

If anyone has any recommendations, please let me know!

Thanks,

Mike

7. NattyLawn

NattyLawn LawnSite Bronze Member

You're probably not going to find a product like greensand at Lesco, but I do apply it to soils with low to very low soil sample analysis.

Alternatively, why not look at Nutrients Plus fertlizer line? Poulty manure and biosolids as a base fert. Take a look at the 7-2-12.

www.nutrientsplus.com

8. Mike M

from usa

Thanks,

That's what I need, a general purpose fertilizer with those kind of numbers. All I need now is to figure out how to get it, if possible, locally.

Mike