1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

General Questions for a beginner, please help!

Discussion in 'Starting a Lawn Care Business' started by PrecisionLawn&Snow, Apr 29, 2008.

1. PrecisionLawn&Snow

PrecisionLawn&Snow LawnSite Member

as i am new to the site, and with also thinking about starting a lawn cutting and snow service, i am wondering if it is worth getting all the equipment for how much i could be making. so some numbers of how much you guys are making for just cutting residential and commercial yards would be nice. Also is it possible to offer fair rates, with gas the way it is, cuz the big companies around me over charge and if i offer a better rate wouldn't they want to go with me. so all help will be apreciated. thankx
  2. Patriot Services

Patriot Services LawnSite Fanatic

Starting small with paid for equipment is the only way. Don't get yourself into a load of debt right out of the box. This means used walk-behinds and minimum handheld equipment (trimmer and edger). The new Kombi systems are versatile and cost effective. Put your money into advertising and building customers. Don't fool yourself about the big companies. Sometimes they charge less because they deal in huge volumes with fleets of units and crews. You need to sell yourself with personal , quality, dependable service. Keep your costs down and your accounts close together. Remember the more accounts you get the more your income grows with little appreciable increase in fuel use.:usflag::usflag::usflag:
    ericg likes this.
  3. topsites

topsites LawnSite Fanatic

I'll tell you my experience...

Better tools sure make it nice, but do we really make more money?
    We like to think we do, but the best stuff out there makes me lazy too, it spoils me rotten.
    But that's not the worst part...

The worst part is, take air tools for instance.
    Wow those things are nice, they sure cut down on a lot of repair related bs.
    But I have to spend $200 or so a year on that stuff, and that doesn't quite include the cost of the compressor.
    Where's that $200 come from?
    Oh just cut another 5-6 lawns?
    Noooo, more like 60 more lawns, to really compensate for that $200 out of the profit, so to speak.
    Yeah it may not make sense now but you'll see lol either way it don't matter haha
    Because now I have to get like 4-5 or more customers that I didn't need or have before, that's all there's to it.
    More scheduling, more work, more bs, more billing and another deposit or two as well lol.
    Don't forget more advertising, so I gotta spend more money here which, wait a minute...
    Wth more money again!
    All right I'll just adjust this out to 6 or 7 more customers heck with it dangit it should be all right.

hmmm, I think I forgot something...
    Ohhh yeah... More wear and tear = more repairs and maintenance!
    BUT with all the extra work I have less time to do it all ahaha!
    And dangit I'm raking in all the money so F'it take it to the dealer HERE fix it!
    ooops $400 dollar repair bill hehehe
    You see where this is going?

The goal is so in the end we work smarter, not harder.
    But the money's all the same I swear I'm still broke at the end of the month lol

Like the man said, whatever you do make sure it's paid for.
    You're as well if not better off with used stuff that's paid for, than new that you gotta work your TAIL to the bone for.
  4. DA Quality Lawn & YS

DA Quality Lawn & YS LawnSite Fanatic

Good advice per above. Just make sure you 'sell' yourself and advantages in service you offer vs the 'big guys' out there (better quality, friendlier service, etc). It will take time to get customers - you will have to be patient. Come up with a business plan first off - set some goals as far as sales, income, # of customers, etc. Find your target market. Do a financial forecast and budget so that you don't get deep-sixed with expenses right off the bat - stick to your budget! Get yourself some equipment (used ok) and most definitely market/advertise the dickens out of your services. I did this my first year and only had two weekly customers. This year should have about 10 - people just have to get to know your name what good things you stand for.

A mouthful, hope this helps...
  5. PrecisionLawn&Snow

PrecisionLawn&Snow LawnSite Member

Hey, thankx for the advice guys you really make some good points!