1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

General start up costs(semi urgent)

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by WMU, Nov 8, 2000.

1. WMU

WMU LawnSite Member
    from Mi

I am a student at Western Michigan Univ. in my business class we have to write a business plan, and I choose to start a lawn service. I have a few questions dealing with general expenses.
    1. How much $ does it cost to insure a company with and without employees (no employee benefits)?
    2. How much do you charge per half acre?
    3. What is a realistic number for maximum accounts per week? given you have 2 crews of 3, using 2 mowers per crew (exmark hp 42''if makes a diff.)
    4. How much do you pay per season on materials such as line trimmer twin, blades, compost bags, etc.?
    5. How much do you spend per season on general maintenance?
    6. How often do you change blades and pulleys?
    Thank you for your help it is greatly appreiciated,
  2. accuratelawn

accuratelawn LawnSite Senior Member

USe the search function. Read as many posts as you can.
  3. bob

bob LawnSite Platinum Member
    from DE

I know that you what specific numbers for your answers. But the questions are too vague. Here's an example; I have a lawn that takes 2 men 4 hours to cut, I also have a lawn that take 2 men 8 minutes to cut. Do you see where I'm going with this? A half acre empty lot is easier to cut than a half acre with a house,pool,fence,trees..... Sorry I couldn't be more helpful. Like Accuratelawn said, use the search feature at the bottom of the page.
  4. Skookum

Skookum LawnSite Senior Member

If we give you all the answers to such a broad question, can we get a college credit or maybe some CCH's added to our pesticide license?
  5. Master WMU once you get out of college and enter the real world you will find out that most of that business stuff you are being exposed to on a university level is pretty much worthless.

Ask your instructors how many successful businesses that they have started and are still in operation?

Learning business from a liberal tenured college professor who never had to make payroll or even sell a job is a risky scheme.

Once you get into the real world and get your hands dirty as an employee for at least 10 years with may different firms no matter what you do you the business you will start up will be sure to fail, since you don't really know the real untaught things that are necessary to be successful.

I don't recommend that anyone even think of starting a business before age thirty-five.
  6. WMU

WMU LawnSite Member
    from Mi

Thanks man real helpful! Yeah the professors are hepocritical, but I've sure as hell have a better chance with a college education than I do with out one. Anyone who thinks otherwise most not have an education period. Don't tell me about hard work, I worked all four years of highschool running my own small lawn service. I had 20 lawns and made 9 grand a summer, for about 10 hrs work a week, compare that to my classmate working at the mall and im doing pretty good. I understand its hard out there but why else would I want to do it.
    Once again thanks for the help,
  7. luckylawnboy

luckylawnboy LawnSite Senior Member

To Lawrence Stone

I beg to differ in your statment about not starting a business before the age of 35. I think that is one of the worst statments I have ever herd. I, my self, am 21 right now, by the time I am 35 I hope to be selling out and building my own golf course. Right now I am a student at Purdue University, majoring in Turf Science. The knowledge I am gaining here could never be learned out in the job. I have two employees who help me with maintaing my acounts. I go home every weekend and cut about 25 lawns on Saterday and leave Sundays open for if we get behind. My knowledge of plant deficiency, soil analysis, dieases, infestations and so on could not of have been learned being a commerical Cuttter. But If would not of started my mowing business back in High School, well I am not sure where I would be today. Deffinatly not in College I started out small, only 12 lawns my first year, but hay, we all have to start some where.

So if you got in you, then try it. The wost thing that could happen is that it won't go. Rather it happen When I am 21 single, Then 35 Married Kids, Well you get the Picture.

WMU Email me if you need help.
  8. lawnboy11

lawnboy11 Banned

35? Puh-leeeese! I am younger than that and I do very very well thank you very much. There are many others in my age range locally who are very successful.
  9. luckylawnboy

luckylawnboy LawnSite Senior Member

Right on.

I agree. Us younger people are going to be doing things better, faster, more efficient, than what you older more experienced are used to. Just wait.It won't be to long before there are restriction on who can mow commerically. Right now any one can do it and thats scarry. I am not saying that we are better, just better prepaird. I am ready, are you?? You can't just start building a house where and when ever you want. You have to have tons of permits,and get past all the regulations and hop la to get started. It coming, just wait.
  10. Eric E.

Eric E. LawnSite Member

I agree about the college professors part. You shouldn't learn about business from a broke professor that never had a successful business. If they were such great business men they would'nt be teaching. What most colleges teach is how to get a job. What's the biggest challenge for a college grad these days, same as 16 years ago when I got a degree. Can't find a job in their feild, actually 85% never practice in their feild of study. Skip the college debt and start a business of your own (at any age), and go out and fail a few times until you get it right. Go check out the "Forbes 500 Richest" list and see how many don't have a college degree, you will find more without than with. You will also find that some didn't finish high school. Soooooo...what's this all about? A college education is NOT a ticket to success any more. That went out years ago. Own a bussiness of your own. Eric