general use?

Discussion in 'Pesticide & Herbicide Application' started by cuttinggrassiscool, Jan 11, 2006.

1. cuttinggrassiscool

cuttinggrassiscool LawnSite Member

hi,
    i am looking into getting my pesticide license. from what i have been reading the license(general use only) is more then good enough. i just wanted to confirm that. also, and this may be area specific, can you buy commercial strength products in small "by the bag" quantities. thanks

2. ArizPestWeed

ArizPestWeed LawnSite Bronze Member

Everything you now buy at the local hardware store is the same strength as anything a licensed pro can but .

3. SWD

SWD LawnSite Senior Member

Perhaps that is the way it is in Arizona, but that definately is not the case here in Texas as it is in several other states as well.

Yes, this is very much area specific.

4. upidstay

upidstay LawnSite Bronze Member
    from CT

What weed head said is most definitely NOT true. Hardware store products are generally much older products in weaker strengths. Glyphosate, the ingredient in Round Up, is usually in the 12-25% range in products at the hardware, but is 41% in yopur better commercial products. I am from CT, and our licenseing is different than in RI. Contact your state ag extension person, your state DEP, or try a Lesco. They may be able to point you in the right direction license wise. As far as small quantities of commercial products, the answer is usually no. There are some products that come in quarts and gallon size containers, and Drive comes in a small bottle. But most of your commercial products come in containers that will treat an acre or more. Your granular products are almost always in quantities that will treat minimum 10000 square feet.

5. cuttinggrassiscool

cuttinggrassiscool LawnSite Member

okay. yes i found the contact information for licensing in my state as the site was out of date. thats small enough. i was just trying to make sure that i wasnt going to have to by granular by the pallet or anything like that. as well as liquid, i think at least to start with that would only be spot sprayed for weed controll and pre emrgent. yes. i am very new to this part of the industry, all of it actually but i am trying to do my homewpr, do any of you know a good website or book on weeds, and their controll. or anything along this lines that would be worth the time to educate myself? thanks

6. olive123

olive123 LawnSite Senior Member

actually I believe what he meant was pesticides and it IS true. Pesticide concentrates bought from home depot etc are the same AI as bought from lesco etc. They are not always easy to find but they are read the labels.
    You can go to any do it yourself pest control store and buy what the pros use, the only thing that cannot be bought is restricted use pesticides like atrazine.
    you need a liscence number to purchase those

7. SWD

Not in Texas you can't. And the AI concentrates are different as well. This may be for your state yet not for mine.

8. ArizPestWeed

Yes , I meant the same A.I. as well as the contentrate like RU Pro in quart containers is 41 % in hardware stores .
    There are a few places that sell the same stuff I get from my supplier that they sell to the public in Phoenix .
    In fact , one place is where I get my equipment worked on .

9. ArizPestWeed

Where in Tex west of Austin , like Hondo ?
    I spent my first 20 years in Corpus

10. SWD

Not quite to Hondo, just outside of Marble Falls - about 75 miles from Austin.