Generalized Pricing Assistance Please

Discussion in 'Starting a Lawn Care Business' started by Lynch & Sons Landscaping, Mar 18, 2007.

1. Lynch & Sons Landscaping

Lynch & Sons Landscaping LawnSite Member
    from MI

I'm wondering what the going "per acre" rate is in livingston/genesee county these days so I don't under/overbid too badly. I was contacted about a 10 acre parcel, (12 total, 10 grass), with alot of trimming, edging, blowing, etc.. probably 3 man-hours just in detail work. I've been bidding smaller (2-acre & under) lots and staying right in the ballpark for this area, but havn't bid anything quite this big yet.

I'm looking for going rate based on the area, not on which equipment is used..

I'm figuring 5 man hours to cut, approximately 3 man-hours to detail. I know what I'd like to see based on costs & time, but I dont know how that fits into the local pricing range...

BTW: I have searched through the databases here extensively, and found relative information local to me only on a 2 acre lot
    and the posts are 3 years old... So I would definately appreciate some info...

Please help me out!

Thanks

2. johndeereguy

johndeereguy LawnSite Member
    from Iowa

Why??

3. Duekster

Duekster LawnSite Fanatic
    from DFW, TX

Use a 21 mower and you will have a different price than if you use a 60.

Equipment does matter.

Production time x labor rate. :nono:

4. ooo

ooo LawnSite Member

If you figure it will take 8 man hours, I wouldn't charge less than 8 X (hourly rate). Add a bit for gas/oil/etc. and a few for travel time to job. If I was bidding on it, and thought I'd spend 8 hours weekly, I'd bid $360. If i really needed/wanted it, maybe $325 or so.

5. Lynch & Sons Landscaping

from MI

Equiment Does matter... However, what customers are accustomed to or willling to pay is what rules..

It is up to me to find ways to be profitable based on what the market will bear, ie. productivity.... The equipment I will be using will leave me with 8 man-hours on the job per week.

I understand your point on equipment, however efficiency is my issue as a business, not the customers... Again, I believe in production time x labor rate.. Very simple.

However, what I am not sure of, is how much labor rate declines dealing with larger properties where there is less windshield time and the like.

As stated I have been bidding properties in the 1-2 acre range previously, and question being able to get the same per acre/per hour price on a lot this large....

6. Duekster

from DFW, TX

Rough cut or finish cut. If a finish cut how finished? Do you need gang reel mowers to get the Finish cut correct.

Can you use a flail mower if rough cut?

These things all affect price.

7. Lynch & Sons Landscaping

from MI

Finish Cut, I will be utilizing 2 Exmark Lazer Z's w/ 60" decks on this property should I get it. The reason for taking so long is the extensive trimming & edging.

8. Flex-Deck

Flex-Deck LawnSite Silver Member

On large acre properties, it may be wise to sit down and figure out the advantages of no travel time, unload-load time, lack of trimming time etc. when you bid it per acre.

My bids range from $22.50/acre to $40/acre depending upon obstacles, travel time, load unload times, roughness of terrain, etc.

I have a 22 acre commercial that takes my wife and I 3 - 3 1/2 hrs - and it is bid at $23/acre. I would have to mow 10 $49 properties to make the same. That would be 10 load-unloads - travel time etc. See what I mean.

BTW, that bid barely landed it.

9. Lynch & Sons Landscaping

from MI

First of all, thank you all for your contributions...

I agree Completely with you flex-deck and that is why I'm asking.

The thing that has me a little nervous bidding this is the amount of trimming. There are several islands and I'm guestimating around 2000 - 2500 linear feet of trimming.... I feel the large areas of the property would be cut in 2 hours with 2 people, it's all the trimming, edging, blowing, etc... that has me concerned with the accuracy of my time estimate and bid.

As with those on Plow-Site all of you here are very helpful and thanks for your comments...

10. Duekster

from DFW, TX

I was not tring to be an ass, but islands and such eat time. I have a few jobs that should be 4 hours that take 6 hrs because of the islands and what not all can be cut with a 50" mower.

Not to mention the trees that need weed eating around them.

Equipment does matter. Other wise I would say 35.00 per ac.