1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Generally speaking how is John Deere equipment?

Discussion in 'Starting a Lawn Care Business' started by Freddy_Kruger, Mar 23, 2006.

1. Freddy_Kruger

Freddy_Kruger LawnSite Bronze Member

Mowers I mean.
  2. QualityLawnCare4u

QualityLawnCare4u LawnSite Gold Member

I have owned a 717 and now have a 737. I have been real pleased with them so far.
  3. Full throttle lawn care

Full throttle lawn care LawnSite Member

I have the 757 60in and has been trouble free for 150hrs.
  4. terryzrx1200

terryzrx1200 LawnSite Member

I have a GS-30 walk behind. Veery good machine.
  5. Dixie Rob

Dixie Rob LawnSite Member

I'm the same with the walk behind. I'm tough on equipment and it hasn't died yet!
  6. Gnyus

Gnyus LawnSite Member
    from Canada

I have 2 older model JX-75 and one more recent JX-75
    1 GS-75
    1 trimmer XT 140 sb

All have been trouble free, except the little gismos. Only trouble was on the latest model JX 75 21'', JD had a recall on them, the axle was too weak, they changed the complete tranny+wheels atop of that!

JDs are a little more expensive than other mowers, but I think they are better built and last longer. JD's 2 cycles can not compete with Stihl and Shindawa. I like their 4stroke blower tho.

Hope this helps!

What are you planning to buy?
  7. percadae

percadae LawnSite Member

jd's usually cost more but parts are readily available and th equipment lasts if taken care of. ive worked on 925's over 10 years old and still in use. the 757's are so so and the gs30 is tough but watch the timing belt. good luck but shop and compare
  8. MMLawn

MMLawn LawnSite Gold Member

WRONG!! That's a friggin' myth. I have nine (9) 2004 & 05 757's and I only paid $7500 for the highest price one which was $500-$1000 less than a comp eXmark, or Toro and a heck of lot less than a comp Scag!
  9. stroker51

stroker51 LawnSite Senior Member

I started my company with an 8 year old 14SB 21" mower, still use it now, 4 years later, with my GS45 and GS30 walk behinds and 737 Z-trak. All have been trouble free, i ran a grasshopper for a short time, and actually used my 6 year old walk behind more because it would always start and mow for me, the grasshopper was a different story. My dealer is also excellent in service, so that helps keep me happy if something does go wrong. I would avoid the 2-stroke stuff, but as far as mowers i dont think you can go wrong.
  10. grass disaster

grass disaster LawnSite Silver Member

personally i don't like the color or stytle