Generating Business

Discussion in 'Starting a Lawn Care Business' started by JWLandscaping, Jul 29, 2008.

1. JWLandscaping

JWLandscaping LawnSite Member

Hello everyone,

I am new to this site so I'll give a lil history about myself, I'm 20 years old and I am the owner of a small Landscaping company in Maryland. My first question of many is how to generate new business specificaly commercial.

2. Back2Back

Back2Back LawnSite Member
    from Ok

Just call and ask if they are taking bids. But make sure you are talking to the right person.

3. sundevilz

sundevilz LawnSite Member

Hey man Im 20 as well and seem to be doing really well. Heres a couple ways I got started and im already pretty packed. Just so you know I live in a huge metro city (phoenix) with I think 4 million people. Property Management companies. Straight up your best way right there. Go to a online yellow pages and put in your address. Then put in commercial or residential properties as your search. this way your getting all the companies in distance to your home. Have you card and be ready to hit the roads. I have barely touched this strategy and like I said very pleased with business. Also you can search for any companies for example car dealerships, walgreens etc.... you will find little nitches where people are more favoring of what you have to offer. Run with them!!!! Try that and im sure you will be happy. Let me know and ill give you some more tips.

4. JWLandscaping

Thanks Back2Back should i call places that dont look like they are keeping up with their property or have very nice upkeep

5. Back2Back

Back2Back LawnSite Member
    from Ok

Well since its late in the year and most businesses have contracts. You can call any business that you would like to mow. Because if they say no they are not taking bids. Well then you can ask well when will you be taking bids. And they might say Nov or Feb? And then you can call back whenever they say they will be taking bids.

6. MowHouston

MowHouston LawnSite Bronze Member

REO companies might not be the best way for someone to start out. They pay monthly, and usually a month or two behind. So you need a little bit of startup money to live on until you start getting paid.

Secondly, depending on our the REO company works, usually the bank tells the management company how much of a budget they have to work on that lawn. I've had one guy that was in REO that took my bids, but the others I have worked for were like... this one is gonna be $30. I get there and its a $40+ lawn.

You're gonna run into overgrown lawns. And I mean OVERGROWN. These properties that they manage are mostly coming out of a forclosure. You will need to rent a brush hog from time to time to cut 3-4ft tall grass down. Make sure you charge for that as well. Will cost about $60 for the day.

As well, you may have to work around cleanup crews and all the crap/trash they leave behind.

I've given this a try three times and I'm done with it. Had another one call me two weeks ago and once I found out it was REO I told them, Sorry, I dont work with REO companies.

I'm not telling you that you cant do it. Just throwing up some information about what can happen.

7. JWLandscaping

Great suggestions ya'll thanks so much

8. sundevilz

sundevilz LawnSite Member

Im talking about more along the lines of commercial prop. They pay real well and its guaranteed work. If you dont understand commercial property management let me break it down. Those grocery/ shopping strip malls pretty much all over town. Or the ones with even smaller bizs all need to be mowed. yes alot of them already have contracts but alot can get out with 30 days notice. You can target smaller properties to start out.

9. MowHouston

MowHouston LawnSite Bronze Member

Ah yeah. Thats different than REO property management. Give that a try then :D

10. AboveTheCut

AboveTheCut LawnSite Member

i read a bunch of post that were warning folks about property managers but i thought "this won't happen to me". HA! i started working with one this season and it seemed to be working out until he started trying to dictate my schedule. he would say, "don't cut this week, mulch my beds instead" and sent me on a few estimates that he said would be worth my time and then told me i was too high. i don't mind skipping a week when its hot and the grass is not growing but thats my decision not this guys. long story longer, he got upset with me because i didnt take care of a task as fast as he wanted and is "re-evaluating" his needs. i sent him a final invoice and told him that when he decided i would negotiate a new contract but the old terms may not apply. now, i hope i get my money owed to me. they are slooooow payers and now i understand why everyone said these guys were bad. they all are looking for something for nothing. sorry so long.