generator engine smoking

Discussion in 'Mechanic and Repair' started by mx495, Jun 19, 2008.

1. mx495

mx495 LawnSite Senior Member
    from MO

I'm about to tear into my generator and wanted to see if anyone agrees on what my problem is. I have a Coleman ProForce 2500 generator that is a little over a year old, so out of warranty. Only has about 40 hours on it. Has a chinese engine, 5.5 OHV horizontal shaft that's mated to the generator head. I assume it's a Honda gx160 clone, but someone told me it's idental generator to a Yamaha ef2600 generator.
    Last time I started it, ran fine for about 30 seconds then started smoking LOTS of white smoke. Took out plug and it has oil on it. Did compression test, has good compression. Runs, but not good. Turn the fuel valve off and as it runs out of gas it's runs better as it leans out and quits smoking, then dies from no fuel. Wouldn't this have to be a broken/bad oil ring?

2. kawasaki1

kawasaki1 LawnSite Member

check your oil level and air filter. if the level's to high drain some. try running it without the filter. if the filter's restricted it'll pull oil up the breather tube.

3. mx495

from MO

I thought the oil was too high at first also, not the problem. Tried no filter, filter is like new anyway.

4. MowerMedic77

MowerMedic77 LawnSite Bronze Member

Not blueish (oil)?

Both of these statements would lead me to believe it is the carb flooding out or dumping excess fuel into the cylinder as it runs. The only way you can check the rings without tearing it down in to do a cylinder leakdown test.

5. mx495

from MO

If it was excess gas wouldn't the smoke be black?

Would a leakdown test be of any help if it was a broken oil ring?

I guess the smoke is somewhat blueish, I was just being general as to it was not black smoke. The smoke smells like burnt oil.

Thanks for the replies so far.

6. mx495

from MO

Would the only thing excess fuel be from is a stuck float?

7. MowerMedic77

You said this was a knock off motor, so from what I have seen from these motors anything is possible. It could have a bad seat(not machined correctly) it could have a missing ring or the ring end gaps lined up not staggered(I have seen this) not good QC on them.

Quick question when you checked the oil level did the oil pour out of the fill hole?

8. mx495

from MO

The oil came out just a little bit, not gushing, but seeped over the fill hole. I tried emptying a little out just in case it was over full, I kept letting a little more out until it wouldn't start because of the low oil shutoff. It ran perfect the 4 times i uses it in the past year.

9. MowerMedic77

Well as you can see from the design of the engine it is hard to overfill the motor because it does not have a dipstick that runs to the top side of the motor. Usually I add oil up to the second to last thread in the case so as to not set off the low oil switch. But if you are on a flat surface and you open that dipstick and oil flows out then it is more then likely fuel in the oil adding to its overall volume.

Just a quick question you said it runs better and stops smoking as it runs out of fuel right? What about just cracking the gas valve open just enough to get fuel but not completely to overflow the carb? If you don't mind entertaining my curiosity:laugh:

10. kawasaki1

kawasaki1 LawnSite Member

these may sound like stupid questions, but i've seen it done.

has anybody put 2 stroke mix or diesel in the tank?