generator in wheelbarrow for shrubs?

Discussion in 'Turf Renovation' started by David Grass, Jun 13, 2005.

1. David Grass

David Grass LawnSite Senior Member

I have seen some landscapers with generators they roll in wheel barrow, with electric sheers (good ones like Makita). Seems like a good idea, cuz the gas powered get heavy after an hour or so. Anyone doing this ? comments?

2. olderthandirt

olderthandirt LawnSite Platinum Member
    from here

I think what you saw were the local lawn boys LOL

3. BCSteel

BCSteel LawnSite Senior Member

If someone cant use a pair of gas trimmers for more than an hour they need a desk job pushing a pencil.

4. hosejockey2002

hosejockey2002 LawnSite Bronze Member

I think that has to be the silliest idea I've ever heard of. :dizzy: If someone can't handle a "heavy" gas hedge trimmer why on earth would they want to hump a generator all over the place in a wheelbarrow and fight with a cord? I think olderthandirt had it right, lawnboys getting by with the crap they found in Dad's garage.

5. Jay Ray

Jay Ray LawnSite Fanatic

Saw an "LCO" using what appeared to be a 100' ext cord with a Black & Decker electric hedger. Wasn't long and he had it capsized, kinked, and tied in knots. At least with a generator the cord could be kept short.

Personally, I wouldn't use anything but a gas headger. No setup, ready right out of the rack, much faster, less hassle. The only downside is mixing the fuel. And must admit it does get heavy after a couple hours.

6. MarcSmith

MarcSmith LawnSite Fanatic

I have always been a fan of the gas trimmers...when I was a young boy my folkd had a set of electric shears and I have no idea how many cords i cut. Here at G-town all they have is the Little wonder electric shears and a couple of generators....I wont buy any more generators and I wont buy any more electric trimmers....Heck the little wonders cost almost as much as a set of gas shears.....

7. freddyc

freddyc LawnSite Senior Member

good idea, why don't they use their electric trimmer while they're at it???? They are lighter than the gas jobs too.

8. Evan528

Evan528 LawnSite Silver Member

I actually prefer my little wander electric hedge shears to my gas redmax trimmers I own. They are mulch lighter and I feel leave a crisper cut. They have though been hanging on a hook for about 5 years due to the hassle of worrying about an extension cord. I still see many large professional companys using the little wander electric trimmers with generators. Quite honestly Id probly still be using them if I was still doing the majority of the trimming myself. Those heavy gas trimmers do a number on my back after a few hours of maneuvering them.

9. jpp

jpp LawnSite Silver Member

We use two gas powered hedge trimmers. Stihl and a shindaiwa. Works great and saves time hauling that dang generator.

10. Mowman29

Mowman29 LawnSite Member
    from OH

Tanaka makes great clippers 2 year commerical warrentee. The best on the market. They are light weight and cut very nice I had a new pair os stilhs last year and they was junked before the end of the season heavy also. they only have a 90 day commerical warrentee.