generator or air compressor for truck

Discussion in 'Mechanic and Repair' started by golfmanres, Feb 20, 2002.

1. golfmanres

golfmanres LawnSite Member

Does anyone know of an air compressor or generator that can be mounted on to a chev 2500 truck with a 5.7v8 that fits under the hood i have seen it some where and remember where? any help would be greatly appreciated. these units run off of the aux. belt.

2. 75

75 LawnSite Senior Member

Regarding an air compressor, are you looking for a ready-to-install unit, or would you do some fabricating work to mount one?

I have on-board air in my '75, it's got a 350 (5.7 l) engine but mine is an air conditioner pump, Ford-style, adapted to suit. I had to fabricate my own mounts and I run it via it's own belt off the power steering pulley. The truck you're mentioning likely has a serpentine belt for the accesories so I don't know how that would work out.

If possible, perhaps ask a tire company that has service trucks how they are set up for air, some run under-hood units and others have a separate gas-engined compressor in the back.

I have a feeling it's going to cost $$$ to buy an under-hood compressor if you go that route though. :(

ERIC ROBERGE LawnSite Member

Do you know anyone that uses a one ton van with a bucket attatchment? Where I work we have 3 or 4 ford e350 vans equipped this way for the traffic signal techs. I cant remember the manufacturer, but this setup is usually an underhood hydraulic pump mounted the way you are talking about. It has a serpintine belt setup. The belt, if i am remembering correctly, is dedicated to the hyd pump off of the crankshaft and has its own tensioner.