1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by dfor, Sep 14, 2003.

1. dfor

dfor LawnSite Senior Member

What kind of generators do you people recommend. I could use one for whenever I have to do hedge trimming. I would end up buying one in the 5000 watt range so that I could also use it at the house when needed, ( 3/4 hp well pump). Especially now with Isabel heading towards the east coast.
  2. locutus

locutus LawnSite Bronze Member
    from NC

dfor, I have a 5500 watt generac generator with a 30 amp twist lock that I have wired into my house. Eleminates the need for extension cords. It came in real handy last year during an icestorm in which I lost power for six days. Myself and two more neighbors were the only houses out of 200 that had power that week. It worked flawlessly 24/7. The only thing I wish it had was automatic idle control.
  3. GLAN

GLAN Banned

I have an old Robin, great condition.
  4. ElephantNest

ElephantNest LawnSite Bronze Member
    from La.

Old Homelite, starts on first pull.
  5. Green Care

Green Care LawnSite Senior Member

Porter Cable with hhhonda engine,nice.
  6. Pecker

Pecker LawnSite Bronze Member

I bought a Coleman 6250W generator (house is already wired for a generator) a few weeks ago and I dont' think it worked right (although I know nothing about generators - but could use one for ice storms). It ran at the same RPM no matter what strain was put on it (didn't respond to the higher load and never tripped either). Returned it and looking to make a wiser purchase soon.

Somebody who knows generators please give me some advice on this. I have a few questions.
    1. Are there different types of generators (other than the difference in wattage)? Meaning, shouldn't they all operate similarly (refering to one you'd buy at Lowe's or to run power tools, house, etc.) and serve the same purpose or are there built in options that make a difference?
    2. Shouldn't you hear the engine bogg down as you add a load to it (plug in a major appliance)?
    3. When it gets overloaded, isn't it supossed to trip the fuse and require you to push the button and turn some things off, then you can start it back up and use it again?

I'm thinking of adding to my investment and getting a John Deere with the Kawasaki engine, because I think I need to get something of better quality this time (because I really don't know if the Coleman I had was faulty or if it was doing what it was designed to do, which is not what I want because it damaged my TV and computer due to the fluctuation created by it not responding to the changes of demand).

I know these are basic questions, but any advise is appreciated.
  7. locutus

locutus LawnSite Bronze Member
    from NC

------, generators are basically the same except for a few goodies. Like a stated earlier in this thread, one nice feature is automatic idle control. This allows the engine to idle down automatically when no load is present. IN this instance, you would hear the engine "bite down"when you turned something on.I dont know of any generator that doesnt have circuit breakers. Some other popular options on generators would be an engine with full pressure lubrication, Brushless alternator, extra large fuel tank, low oil shut-off and so on. If your previous generator was like mine, running full tilt all the time, you will not here an appreciable difference in sound when a load is applied. hope this helps.
  8. Pecker

It does. All excellent points too. Thanks for yer input.
  9. SpudsM15

SpudsM15 LawnSite Senior Member

goto depot and get one of the genrac's that looks like a a/c unit... that runs off of n/g...They go on weekly for testing purposes... it's always ready so when the power goes out it kicks in... and as long as u have natural gas your golden!
    I work at depot so don't shop at lowes!!!!!!!!!
  10. Pecker

Interesting. Would you happen to know a model number? Thanks.