Generic parts the Renovator 20

Discussion in 'Mechanic and Repair' started by shakro, May 9, 2004.

1. shakro

shakro LawnSite Member

I have three renovators. Great machine. I use them so much that cost of parts has been an issue. Found replacement bearings for the blade shaft for $7 vs. $18 from Lesco. I make my own blades at $40 a set vs. $80 from Lesco. They are longer, thicker, and wider. Still reversable. Last more than twice as long and does a better job carrying a bit more momentum. I make my own drive chain for $5 vs. $30 by buy ANSI 35 chain in 10 ft lengths.

Now researching specification on the v belt to find better price. Any help?
  2. Currinson

Currinson LawnSite Member
    from MA

How are you making your own blades, what are you using for stock, and where are you getting it.

Thanks for the help

I order most belts from stens, I will look for that one

3. Restrorob

Restrorob LawnSite Fanatic

Can I assume you purchase a blade with the same bore but longer and grind the tips to length :confused:
  4. shakro

shakro LawnSite Member

I just took the Lesco Blade to a machine shop and had them make the same blade a little thicker. I had them make it longer on just one end based on the clearance allowed when mounted. Nothing special about steel used. Whatever was economical and of sufficient strength. The hole pattern opposite the longer end when mounted remained the same.
  5. Restrorob

Hmmmmm, How do you balance this blade to keep it from beating the spindle bearings out if one end is longer than the other :confused:
  6. oldrustycars

oldrustycars LawnSite Senior Member

for the belt use a new one as a reference. if it has a gates or other brand number, you're all set. if not, take the new belt to a Motion Industries outlet near you...they are all over, im assuming theres one in md. they used to be Berry Bearing. they will either sell you new belts based on the number you give them, or measure the sample belt and hook you up. they also sell any kind of bearing and drive chain you can imagine.
  7. olderthandirt

olderthandirt LawnSite Platinum Member
    from here

Not quite there yet :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

8. Restrorob

Thanks Mac, Guess I missed that. At that price they can be changed weekly. :laugh:

DUSTYCEDAR LawnSite Fanatic
    from PA

NAPA carries many belts and berrings and even the grade 8 bolts for the blades