1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Gentlemen, Start Your Mowers!!

Discussion in 'General Industry Discussions' started by MowingInAZ, Jul 26, 2005.

1. MowingInAZ

MowingInAZ LawnSite Member

Has anybody gone lawn mower racing? I've seen them race a few different times and have a buddy that entered his Kubota in the stock class. I always wanted to try it, but my rear tires on the JD 120 are too large. Has anybody tried this with their lawn tractor?
  2. Runner

Runner LawnSite Fanatic

3. CutNLawns

CutNLawns LawnSite Member

Back before we were old enough to drink my buddy and I used to mess with giving the mowers a "tune up" My buddy who was a real wizard with small engines got into drag racing them. I give him a old 14hp Murry rider and he ended up sinking $10K....yes $10K into it for racing. He did the engine work and i did the fab work and it was lowered, tube chassis, chrome moly wheelie bars, Moroso 10K tach and for fun was a Simpson parachute also. It ran on Nitro Methane just like the top fuel drag cars which was a sight at night with the blue flames! Ever see a Murry rider running 70-80 mph?

He Also had a tricked out, stretched, Pro Stock style mini bike with a 5hp B&S on alcohol that I had up to 60mph when I blew past my brother in his S-10. That thing was a scary ride. i was always his "test pilot" for his new rides!

Never seen the riders that run the tracks in person just the ones that went straight!
  4. Royallawncare

Royallawncare LawnSite Member

Can we see some pics of those rides?
  5. CutNLawns

CutNLawns LawnSite Member

I wish I had some. He had many photo albums of all the "projects" but he passed away a few years ago and I'm not sure what happened to all his stuff. I'm sure his dad has everything now!
  6. Lawn Masters

Lawn Masters LawnSite Senior Member

70-80 mph? I want to try that ride! world record mowing pace. :p that would be awesome to see in action for racing.
  7. MowingInAZ

MowingInAZ LawnSite Member

I've accually seen a Murray go 75 mph once. . . on a truck bed going to the dump!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!