1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Geogrid on pillars

Discussion in 'Hardscaping' started by ZX12R, Oct 13, 2007.

1. ZX12R

ZX12R LawnSite Senior Member

I saw a raised patio being built where 24" pillars were being utilized.After every course ,a 20" square section of geogrid was placed on top and another course was placed on top of that.This was repeated for the entire pillar only.

I have never seen or heard of this before?Is this a new practice? How does this help,since the grid does not go anywhere outside of the 24 " pillar?
  2. Mike33

Mike33 LawnSite Bronze Member

i have only buit 6-7 pillars before but thats a new one to me.
  3. Captains Landscape

Captains Landscape LawnSite Senior Member

I would rather use a PL adhesive, never heard of this. Doesn't sound like any adhesive was used at all? What about the cap stone...
  4. ZX12R

ZX12R LawnSite Senior Member

Glue was used on every course also. This is my neighbors house.I asked the foreman what the purpose was,and he told me that it will help from the pillar pulling away from the wall since it is a raised patio(about 3 ').

It still makes no sense because the geogrid does not enter the area where the patio will begin.:confused:
  5. mrusk

mrusk LawnSite Gold Member

This would only make sense if the grid also ran into the wall and the patio base.

I got a big beef with what people are doing with SRW pillars now a days. I think people are really over estimating the ablitly of SRW pillars. I see pillars in my area as tall as 10 feet all built on a qp base.
  6. Mike33

Mike33 LawnSite Bronze Member

I agree, i dont go over 5 courses. When ab first came out with them was for there fence panels which was overpriced and rated project. Thinking back from attending the seminar 7 years ago a certain size needed concrete footer, sauna tube inside poured concrete with re-bar. I just forget all the details.