Georgia Pesticide License

Discussion in 'Pesticide & Herbicide Application' started by JPsDuramax, Mar 5, 2009.

1. Devan

Devan LawnSite Member
    from Atlanta

I'll second that.
    Trying to search through Google and cant get any decent returns...
    I just want to know who to contact and what to study.

Please help?

2. JPsDuramax

JPsDuramax LawnSite Senior Member
    from Georgia

First, weed control is a type of pest control. Now I'll quit being an a$$, the website for Georgia is GAPESTEXAM.com. It gives you the information to order the books and tells you the exam locations. Try John Deere Landscapes, formerly Lesco, for your chemicals. The guys at the one in Lawrenceville are very knowledgeable. Best of luck.

3. mrealty

mrealty LawnSite Member
    from Georgia

Wanted to sum it up for a Georgian lawn care co who wants to do lawn fertilizer and weed killing because half the links at the GA Dept of Agriculture site are dead.

1. You need a Commercial Applicator License and a Pesticide Contractor License.
    2. You've got to get books for training:
    (a) General Standards Study Guide $15 : gapestexam.com
    (b) Ornamental & Turf $25 : gapestexam.com
    You can purchase these books by calling the University of Georgia 706-542-2657 and pay by credit card over the phone.
    3. Take your exam from a local Technical College for $45 (additional $45 for each fail & retake). gapestexam.com will give you a list of places to take the exam.
    4. Once you pass, you pay an additional fee for the license itself: $25 for the Commercial Applicator License and $15 for the Pesticide Contractor License.
    5. Start upselling and making more money.

A $45 exam fee will be charged by the Technical Colleges. Most colleges accept checks, credit cards or money orders. Once you pass the exam, you will need to mail in a check or money order in the amount of $25.00 made payable to the Georgia Department of Agriculture. Individuals who wish to obtain a commercial applicator license must pass the general standards examination, as well as at least one major category examination with a score of 70%. The general standards exam is designed to test for general knowledge on the use of pesticides, while the category examinations are more specific to particular types of pesticide application. Please review the Rules of the Georgia Department of Agriculture, Pesticide Use and Application, Chapter 40-21-2, Categories for Certified Applicators, to determine the appropriate category for the type of pesticide applications you will be making.

The commercial pesticide applicator's license is valid for a five year period. The fee for the commercial pesticide applicator's license is $25.00

You must be re-certified to renew your pesticide applicator's license. There are two options you may choose to accomplish this. The first option is that you may take the commercial applicator's exam again to renew your commercial applicator's license. The second option is for you to accumulate the required re-certification credit hours during your five year license period. Please note that all re-certification credit hours must be received in the Georgia Department of Agriculture Pesticide Division office at least 90 days prior to the expiration of your license.

Commercial applicators must obtain either six (6) or ten (10) re-certification credit hours per licensed category to renew the commercial applicator's license.

To check your certification hours/credits go here:
    http://www.kellysolutions.com/GA/Applicators/searchbyCity.asp

In order to provide pesticide applications of any type of pesticide, whether general use or restricted use, to the property of another person, and collect a fee for these services, both a Commercial Applicator License and a Pesticide Contractor License are required.

A Pesticide Contractor's license is required for any individual or company to engage in the business of contracting for the application of any type of general use or restricted use pesticide to the lands of another within this state. This license is required for each business (company branch office) location, and each business (company branch office) must maintain in full time employment during all periods of operation at least one certified commercial pesticide applicator. The fee for the Contractor's license is $15.00 per year, and this license must be renewed each year. The forms to obtain the Pesticide Contractor's license (license application and proof of liability insurance form), Application Package for Georgia Pesticide Contractor's License must be completed and sent to the Georgia Department of Agriculture Pesticide Division for review, along with a check or money order (no cash please) made payable to the Georgia Department of Agriculture. Your Pesticide Contractor's license will be sent to you in the mail, and must be displayed in a prominent place in each business (company branch office) location.

Last edited: Apr 26, 2010
  4. cgaengineer

cgaengineer LawnSite Fanatic

I need to knock mine out...I have had the books for 2 season's now and have read parts of them several times. I am pretty sure I can pass, I just haven't scheduled my exam. Are there any written parts of the exam or is it all multiple choice?

5. mrealty

mrealty LawnSite Member
    from Georgia

Just wanted to mention that I thought it strange that there are courses for recertification, but not one course for certification. You get the books and that's it.

What is nice is that you can test at a local Technical School. For both my real estate sales person license and my real estate Broker license I had to drive all the way to Atlanta for testing. Taking the commercial applicator license test locally is convenient....but not having a course for it???? I'll come back and let you know what I think about the exam. If I fail it, that will be a massive blow to my ego :)

6. jimshack

jimshack LawnSite Member

you definately want to study for it, then study some more...but it's well worth attaining the license. you'll be so busy your head will spin. good luck.

7. mrealty

mrealty LawnSite Member
    from Georgia

Ordered my books (posted a pic to help others identify) from the phone number listed above on Tuesday April the 27th, and received them on Friday the 30th. That was fast (said they ship every Thursday). Both books have a "Test Your Knowledge" section at the end of each section (approximately 35 or so questions with answers). I assume that's the stuff that's going to be on the test.

The "General Standards" book is about an inch and a quarter thick. The "O & T" book is about a half inch thick at about 154 pages.

There's quite a bit of formulas in the O & T book in the "Applying the Correct Amount of Pesticide" section, but nothing my calc 4 experience won't be able to handle. :) Just basic division and multiplication type formulas - nothing fancy.

I'll go ahead and list the table of contents:

Book 1
    General Standards

Unit 1 Principles of pest control
    Pests and pest control
    Plant disease and agents
    Weeds
    Vertebrate pests
    Unit 2 Pesticide Labeling
    Unit 3 Formulations
    Unit 4 Pesticides in the environment
    Unit 5 Special environmental concerns (protecting ground water and endangered species)
    Unit 6 Harmful effects and emergency response
    Unit 7 Personal protective equipment
    Unit 8 Pesticide handling decisions
    Unit 9 Mixing, loading, and application
    Application equipment
    Unit 10 Applying the correct amount
    Diluting pesticides correctly
    calculating size of target sites
    Calibration
    Unit 11 Transportation, storage disposal, and spill cleanup
    Unit 12 Georgia laws and regulations
    Laws and regulations
    Appendix: effects of pesticides on the human body

Book2
    Ornamental and Turfgrass Pest Management

Preface Certification requirements in north carolina, georgia, and south carolina
    Chapter 1. Introduction to pest management in turfgrass and ornamentals
    Chapter 2. Cultural management for turfgrasses
    Chapter 3. Insect pests of turfgrasses
    Chapter 4. Weeds of Turfgrasses
    Chapter 5. Diseases of turfgrasses
    Chapter 6. Cultural management for ornamental plants
    Chapter 7. Insect and mite pests of ornamental plants
    Chapter 8. Weed pests of ornamental plants
    Chapter 9. Diseases of ornamental plants
    Chapter 10. Applying the correct amount of pesticide
    Chapter 11. Vertebrate pests

Plan on reading a bit every night and take the test at Augusta Tech as soon as I'm finished reading.

IMG_1443.jpg

Last edited: May 1, 2010
  8. JPsDuramax

JPsDuramax LawnSite Senior Member
    from Georgia

Looks like they finally changed the general standards book...

9. andyslawncare

andyslawncare LawnSite Senior Member

I passed back in January. It was tough!

Be sure to spend the fall and winter studying your program and stock up on chemicals.

It means a lot to a customer when you can also chant off every weed that you see on their property when you bid it...

10. inzane

inzane LawnSite Silver Member

thanks for all the good information. i ordered my study materials today. was wondering if anybody knew of a good insurance company that will do policy for LCO's? (i'm in georgia as well) also, wondering what is a ballpark figure on the insurance premium? years ago when i was in business (lawn mowing only) i had a general liability policy for around 2 mill. (i believe) and it was around 600 to 700 a year. was wondering how much additional insurance is needed when you add pesticide app's?