geotextile

Discussion in 'Hardscaping' started by skidster32, May 19, 2008.

1. skidster32

skidster32 LawnSite Member

how many of u guys use geotextile between ur base and sand on a patio?

2. SOUTHERNGREENSCAPES

SOUTHERNGREENSCAPES LawnSite Senior Member

hopefully none. it is not needed there. it is needed between the sub-soil and the base.

3. amscapes03

amscapes03 LawnSite Senior Member

:nono: Southerngreenscapes is right. It goes between the sub-soil and base.

4. amscapes03

amscapes03 LawnSite Senior Member

Hey Southerngreenscapes, your number of posts is freakin me out. Post something quick!!! :drinkup:

5. DVS Hardscaper

DVS Hardscaper LawnSite Fanatic

We have been a full fledged paver installation company for 12 years.

And we have used TWO layers since DAY ONE.

The 1st layer between sub-soil and aggregate base. The 2nd layer between the aggregate and the bedding sand.

You guys can argue it all you want :) This is how we do it and how we'll continue to do it.

The bedding sand is what locks the pavers into place. If the bedding sand mitigates with the aggregate - then you loose your interlock.

Our very 1st patio gig was repairing a paver patio built by others. When we took the pavers up, we discovered that the sand had mitigated with the aggregate. And ever since then....we have used two layers.

ICPI used to say "no no no, don't use two layers". Well, about 3 years ago I was told by someone deeply affiliated with ICPI that ICPI is now saying "ok, 2 layers isn't such a bad idea afterall"

It's cheap insurance.

And it's a strong selling point when properly presented to a homeowner.

http://www.outdoorfinishes.com

6. skidster32

we do the same thing, between the soil and aggregate, and between the aggregate and sand. i never thought it was a bad idea either, i was just wondering if anyone else does the same thing.

7. DVS Hardscaper

DVS Hardscaper LawnSite Fanatic

To me not using 2 layers as specified above, is like like not having fire insurance on your home. Will my home ever catch on fire?? Who knows, but at least I am covered, just incase!

On another board 1 or 2 guys were saying "if you do the base prep correctly and use the proper base material - you don't need 2 layers.....". That may be true. But say a fluke thing takes place - then at least we took steps. Thus reducing a potential for a call back to re-do / repair our work.

We sell our fabric for 14 cents a sq ft. On most of our jobs, a total of 2 layers adds around $250.00 to the cost. So thats $125 for the 2nd layer. Whats $125.00 on a $10,000 patio?

8. skidster32

its the little things that count my friend

9. SOUTHERNGREENSCAPES

SOUTHERNGREENSCAPES LawnSite Senior Member

hey, i will never fault a man for bettering his product. too bad there are not others who will go for the insurance instead of the i know this won't last attitude.

10. PatriotLandscape

PatriotLandscape LawnSite Bronze Member
    from MA

Nothing as long as you dont square foot price :D then it's a $10,125.00