1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community on the Franchising Forum.

Dismiss Notice

Germinating Pre-soaked Seed

Discussion in 'Turf Renovation' started by Smallaxe, Oct 2, 2013.

1. Smallaxe

Smallaxe LawnSite Fanatic

There are usually general spots across the entire lawn that could use a good seeding,,, but there are also those particular regions that aren't that large and if we could really that those regions to POP,,, it will help the overall appearance of everything...

We have a rain event coming in tonite that may last for several days... I have some seed that has been soaking for 2 or 3 days already and will mix it into DRY compost so I can spread it evenly... I will then workup the compacted bare spots with a garden weasel and work the seed/compost into the soil...

Today is Oct. 2nd and I will report the progress of germination and growth... :)

2. RigglePLC

RigglePLC LawnSite Fanatic

Good plan, Axe. What kind of seed? Did you change the water every 24 hours? Use an aerator pump? Use warm water?
    What is your soil temperature? Air temps? How about planting some in a coffee mug inside so you can keep it at 72 degrees.

3. ReddensLawnCare

ReddensLawnCare LawnSite Bronze Member

Have never thought of that. Would the act of mixing the soft seeds into the dry compost inhibit seed growth or damage the seed? I'm looking forward to your results
    Posted via Mobile Device

4. foreplease

foreplease LawnSite Bronze Member

I'm a big fan of this type of repair. You should have good results.

Reddens, I have never had any problem doing it this way. I used to fix every divot on a varsity soccer field after every game using a method very similar to this and had great results.

5. Smallaxe

I used to mix up batches of wet peat with seed in a huge tub and then put it out on the turf once it started to germinate in the tub... But that was pretty gloppy stuff and difficult to spread and wasteful...

I too shared your concerns about drying the seed to get it spread,,, but Riggle was soaking and drying before spreading with great success...

The stuff I put out last week has germinated... That was soaked seed added to wet compost, spread out in bulk and ran a sprinkler every couple of days, so it never dried...

So far our chances of rain are still looking good so hopefully I have some results in the next 5 days... :)

6. Smallaxe

I had a bucket of seed, about 3# worth and imply dumped water into it and let the seed swell then moved half of it to another bucket so I could add more water... It sat for a day or so AFTER it was done swelling and there was standing water in the buckets...

I mixed it up into one and a half 6 gallon buckets of compost and spread it that way... Still time consuming and wasteful,,, but depending on the quickness of germination it could be worth 'streamlining' this concept into greater efficiency... You know that getting things to grow up here in the Midwest need to be completed soon... :)

7. mdlwn1

mdlwn1 LawnSite Silver Member

All you have to do is mix your seed in a planting medium 4-5 days before using it. Most golf courses in america do this.

8. Smallaxe

What do you mean??? Dry seed in dry media??? or wet seed in wet media??? why 4-5 days and not 7-10 days???

9. mdlwn1

mdlwn1 LawnSite Silver Member

I wouldn't say dry, but ever so slightly moist....dry seed into decent soil medium. The germination days depend the seed variety.

10. Smallaxe

So it is as if I overseed from a bag of seed mixed in with compost at the time of seeding??? I've always tryied to use compost in the seeding process whenever practical...

In other words,,, we're not talking about the "Soaking Strategy",,, is that correct???