1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

get a degree

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by kevhov, Nov 2, 2007.

1. kevhov

kevhov LawnSite Member

Do any of you recommend getting some formal education like turf management when you are first starting?
  2. lawnworker

lawnworker LawnSite Senior Member

I degree in plant biology would be great.
  3. landscaper22

landscaper22 LawnSite Senior Member

It is not really necessary...But it would not hurt. You would just have to spend a lot of money for school. How long would you have to work to make that money back again? Just get some good books. Clemson University puts out one that covers most everything about southern lawns. Also take some one or two day classes if offered through your local extension office.
  4. CharlotteOutdoorImpact

CharlotteOutdoorImpact LawnSite Senior Member

What is the book Clemson offers? I also know that NC State has a great program as well, there is a lot of info on there web site.

I am interested in the Clemson book, however.... You can never do enough research/learning.
  5. PerfectEarth

PerfectEarth LawnSite Bronze Member

Better than school is spending a few years working for someone. That's the best education possible. You'll know when you're ready to go off on your own.
  6. landscaper22

The book by Cleomson is called: Southern Lawns: Best Turfgrass Selection and Management Practices (Product number is EC 707) Google it. I paid like $45 for it but is is a great book for anyone in the southeast to use as a guide.
  7. kevhov

kevhov LawnSite Member

Thanks, just ordered the book. I always prefer to just get the text book a class would use and study myself. It's faster and easier. I just thought maybe the official credentials would be more appealing to customers.
  8. landscaper22

Let me know what you think about it after you get the book and glance through it. I know you will be happy with the amount of useful info in the book.
  9. SomervilleLawncare

SomervilleLawncare LawnSite Member

I know this sounds awful, but for this industry I would say dont get a degree unless you are going strictly into landscape design. I have a degree, Ive spent 5 years getting it while I could have been building my business. I also have 45,000 in student loan debt. On the positive side I have somthing to fall back on if somthing happens with my business, but overall I say no.
  10. corey4671

corey4671 LawnSite Silver Member

make sure you spend some time in English class too...:clapping: