1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

get a franchise or not to get a franchise?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by jeff_0, Feb 23, 2003.

1. jeff_0

jeff_0 LawnSite Senior Member
    from md

I have a small lawn maintenanse business that i started last year. i grossed almost 15k doing it part time mostly by myself. I want to be able to explained things to have a lot my income. Would it better to build my existing business or to by a franchise like lawn doctor, us lawns, etc.?
  2. IBGreen

IBGreen LawnSite Senior Member

NO FRANCHISE! I'm sure everyone here will be in agreement with me. I hope.
  3. LB Landscaping

LB Landscaping LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Maine

Put the money you'd use buying a franchise to buy or upgrade your equipment, start a new marketing campaign, or get further educated in the field.
  4. wojo23323

wojo23323 LawnSite Senior Member

I agree. Franchises are very expensive and you still have to pay royalties.
  5. J&R

J&R LawnSite Senior Member

To answer your question. Do you want to work for yourself or someone else.
  6. PR0 TURF

PR0 TURF LawnSite Bronze Member

I too say NO franchises...but make sure you do plenty of research on this topic before you make your final decision. What works for us...may not work for you...a franchise could be exactly what you're looking for. Its definitely not what im looking for...but make sure you look at all of your options...

7. Bigfoot

Bigfoot LawnSite Member

I don't see a franchise helping you in this business. You would be trading off part of your freedom & profits for what? You already have a business started that can be expanded.
  8. Tony Clifton

Tony Clifton LawnSite Senior Member

Jeff, I personally am not a franchise person myself, but if you are new to the business and dont have a lot of experience in the industry or in running a business then becoming a franchisee might not be a bad idea. This is especially true in the lawn care (not lawn maint) industry, you get price breaks on your materials not to mentiion the support. These franchises have tremendous support and they will pretty much hold your hand and help you grow,,,the more money you make, the more money they will make. Personally I think the money saved by the support they provide offsets the royalties. I would seriously consider looking into a Weed Man Franchise if I were you, they seem to be a really strong company and one of my best friends owns a franchise and cant say enough good things about the company, it really is a cool thing. Best of Luck.
  9. fatboy5803

fatboy5803 LawnSite Senior Member

Good advice ! Check out your options throughly. It might be for you!! And Bigfoot made since, you have a lawn service that can be expanded.. I started the end of last year with a few clients, Did good work and people are contacting me for clean-ups that are ending up full time clients. I also do this part time, planning on it being full time in a year or two. So really research the whole thing..

10. MSYardman

MSYardman LawnSite Member
    from MS & LA

I've know someone close by that has the U.S. Lawns franchise. He is extremely happy with his arrangement. He gets all kinds of discounts on equipment. He has built in consultants for his business. They brought him into the commercial part of the industry whereas before he was all residential.

He said that US Lawns has given him over $6000 per month in contract business. They own the national contract and he has all of their business in his area + some just outside his area.

He said that it is great work. He said that their support is unbelieveable, especially in the accounting and analyzing part of the business.

He has grown to over $1 million per year in just 4 years. He just laughs when I try to tease him and tell him he is wasting his money with the franchise.

So, it might be something that someone new in the business should look at.