"Get a Rope"

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Mikes Lawn Landscape, Apr 10, 2004.

1. Mikes Lawn Landscape

Mikes Lawn Landscape LawnSite Senior Member
    from Texas

I have a Snapper 36" with a 14hp Kawi. The pull rope broke I was able to reinstall the rope but now it wont recoil. Doe anyone have any tips on installing the rope so it will recoil correctly.

Thanks for the help

2. LawnScapers of Dayton

LawnScapers of Dayton LawnSite Silver Member
    Male, from Dayton, OH

I think those need to be "re-winded" (not the right word) so the spring retracts when pulled.

Derek

3. crawdad

crawdad LawnSite Bronze Member

Did you wind the spring before installing the rope?
    You have to wind it up tight, stick a screwdriver or something in it so it won't spin, install the rope, pull out the screwdriver, and it'll recoil.
    Crawdad

4. LawnsRUsInc.

LawnsRUsInc. LawnSite Senior Member
    from midwest

Yea you need to spin the coil up in the inside then put the rope on and let it pull it in.

5. LynyrdSkynyrd

LynyrdSkynyrd LawnSite Member

My 460 Kaw engines starter rope broke once when out mowing. I just removed the cover and wrapped the rope around the bell on the fly wheel to get by for the day.

If you did the re-wind correctly. Back the cover bolts out 1/4 of a turn. Sometimes it helps and sometimes it does not.

Re-winding these starters is not hard.
    You need to remove the cover and the rope.

Hold the cover itself to where it can not turn and rotate just the spool clock wise to put tension on the spring.
    Keep rotating it until it stops. If you are doing it correctly the cover will want to spin once enough pressure is placed on the spring.
    Once you have the spring wound tight.
    Let the spool turn counter clock-wise one ful turn. Then line up the slot where the rope fits the spool with the hole in the cover by contiuing to rotate the spool counter clock-wise.
    Holding the spool where it can not turn place the rope through the hole in the cover and pull it out through the slot in the spool.
    Tie a knot in the rope and pull the excess through the cover.
    Slowly release the presure on the spool allowing the rope to be wound into the starter.
    Then place the rope through the handle and pull it until it touches the cover.
    While holding the handle against the cover pull the rope until you feel good pressure on the spring. About two or three rotations of the spool should work.
    Tie a knot in the rope as close to the cover as possible. Try it out.

I buy starter rope on large rolls and always start with about 1 1/2 times more than I need to fill a starters spool. This alllows the spool to fill with rope without having it pulled completly into the housing. It also allows for me to adjust the spring pressure to where it will have just enough to pull the handle tight against the houseing without having so much that the rope and spring is strained to the breaking point.