Get Busy!

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by JimLewis, Jan 18, 2001.

1. JimLewis

JimLewis LawnSite Fanatic

Well it must have been two or three weeks ago that our company had no side jobs to do. We have plenty of year-round maintenance. But a lot of our business is side jobs. And we hadn't had a call in weeks. Which is typical for the middle of winter.

But I got employees to keep busy and we were running out of things to do at my house. Plus, I could use a few extra bucks. So I got determined to go get some business, regardless of the season.

So I had the guys lay about 2500 flyers over a 10 day period. A few hundred each day.

Now we are getting pretty dang busy! It's sweet. This is the earliest ever that we have begun to get busy. We have several jobs now and the possibility of a few big landscape installs too (still working on the designs and estimates).

Point is, if you get out and lay enough flyers, you will get some jobs. I have several friends that own landscape coompanies and they are all dead right now. But because we got off our arse and did something constructive, we are busy with side jobs now almost every day. And my pocket book is fatter too.

All I am saying is if you are waiting for spring to come, don't wait! Flyers are a numbers game. If you lay enough of them, you'll always get work. It may take more this time of year but it always works.

Of course, this doesn't apply to areas where it's below freezing or where everything's covered with snow. But in the more temperate climates, there's no excuse.

2. kutnkru

kutnkru LawnSite Silver Member

Good Thinking. Unfortunately we have snow to contend with, so unless a storm knocks down a tree we are stuck polishing plows in the meantime. We have been however, holding discussions on better ways to improve productivity and the different things the guys would like to see implemented or changed in the company.

So hopefully this will be a productive time before the flyers go out here too.

Kris

3. mowerman90

mowerman90 LawnSite Bronze Member

The response is directly proportional to the number flyers passed out. Simple arithmetic. Go for it!!!

4. Skookum

Skookum LawnSite Senior Member

That's Right, It urks me when sooo many people, in any business, act like they cannot make it. they do not want to do anything but wait for people to contact them. People are always saying I am like my Grandfather and Father that money just finds us. That is BULL! We go find the money instead of waiting for it to find us.

HOLD THAT TIGER, HOLD THAT TIGER ! ! ! !

5. kutnkru

kutnkru LawnSite Silver Member

Around here we have a saying that the younger generation is often living or operating a business off of "old" money.

All this tells me is that some day when they are broke because daddy or gran'pa not around to make them more they will be s.o.l.

Just my .02 on lazy contractors.
    Kris

6. Island Lawn

Island Lawn LawnSite Senior Member

Hey Jim, Thanks for the tip!
    You got me fired up!
    I did a search for "flyers" and, as usual, found a lot of good information.
    I would like to see this on Eric's search page.
    I really like having these main topics on one page.

7. awm

awm LawnSite Gold Member

This is what us youngsters need to hear.
    Its all up to the individual.Long as i
    can, thats the way itsgonna be for me.