Get Cert or Sub out?

Discussion in 'Pesticide & Herbicide Application' started by Elite Lawn Care, Dec 11, 2005.

1. Elite Lawn Care

Elite Lawn Care LawnSite Member

Hey this is an area that I could use some help with. I know many of us have clients that want us to Fert/ bug spray. I have in the past done it as labor if they buy the bag and leave it. this season most of my clients want me to keep up a fertilizer plan, usualy I just politly tell them to call a local company, however this year was about 60 % asking for me to do it next year. Should I spend the time and get cert. and insured or just sub out and add a % (10-15)to the price I pay to sub? Is it worth it to spend the time and the money to get cert or just be better off having a local guy do it? Thanks for any help.
  2. olderthandirt

olderthandirt LawnSite Platinum Member
    from here

All depends on how many clients you have and what kinda of working relationship you can have with the person your subbing to. If your talking 15 -25 residential customers I don't think its worth the paper work, but I have a great guy that will come when i need him and apply whats needed. Your gonna have to be more than lisc. your gonna have to know what your doing and thats the hard part.
    BTW- I am lisc.
  3. 6'7 330

6'7 330 LawnSite Bronze Member

True the hard part is getting to know what your doing.Sub out or not ,get the certification and all the book knowledge you can.It will be of great value.
  4. olive123

olive123 LawnSite Senior Member

you need a cert. for fertilization? only for weed and feed here...
  5. Ric

Ric LawnSite Fanatic

Florida Law Makes it hard to get a full commercial lawn and ornamental certification. Therefore most LCO must sub out the pest on the lawn at least. A limited Certification for ornamental is much easier to get and is also known as the Roundup license.

As a Certified Licensed Operator I Offer two plans to LCO than want to sub work

1. Plan A I applied the Pesticides and they do the fertilization, we each bill separate.

2. Plan B I do the Fert & Squirt and bill, BUT pay them a IPM inspection fee. They are in fact my boss in a way because they tell me to go check the property when they see something wrong. They are on the property every week and if they do IPM, the customer property is the best in town making both Them and Me look good.
  6. Green Dreams

Green Dreams LawnSite Senior Member
    from Texas

Thats a good point, sir. How much do you usually pay? A certain fee or a percentage?

7. Ric

Ric LawnSite Fanatic

Percentage. They really don't have to do anything except keep their eyes open while mowing the grass. If they see something that doesn't look right, Give me a call. I take it from there. The Idea of working together with someone who does different work is good for both You and the customer. I send back referral to the mowing guys and ask for nothing. But when they send me a customer I give them a continuing IPM fee. The mowing contractor then has a vested interest in my work also. It is not a big percentage on just one job. but if they hook me up with say 25 to 30 accounts it can pay for a big night out once or twice a month. The Idea is to keep the account and as long we keep that account their is extra income from each treatment I do and charge for. True there might be a spot treatment that I do and don't charge for. That is what a service contract is all about.
  8. Elite Lawn Care

Elite Lawn Care LawnSite Member

Thanks for the input, sorry I am late in replying, I have the flu and my wife has wooping cough so we are one sick household. I think that I will opt out this year for the Sub-out and see how that goes, I'll just add a small charge on top of what they charge and deal with the paperwork over the next year.