get into it?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by solly4, Mar 22, 2003.

1. solly4

solly4 LawnSite Member

I have been put in the situation of having my own business. been in it under someone for 12 yrs. been a landscape forman for 5 and help the lawn crew when needed. the opportunity is 70 accounts given to me through a bid (no purchase) but the problem is this time of year here (mich) we are about to get going on landscaping and i am the only fulltime guy my boss has. should i look out for myself and do it (always wanted to) would i be jerking by boss over too much by leaving...been there for 7 yrs. any input would be great....

2. Randy Scott

Randy Scott LawnSite Bronze Member

You know the answer! Above and beyond anything, "YOU" have to be put first.

Worrying about your boss is not the answer. As much as he has appreciated you and your skills, and vice-versa, and if he is any amount of a man, he should give you his blessings and wish you luck, although I'm sure he will be sad to see you go, he should respect your decision. If he doesn't, the decision will have been that much easier.

3. solly4

solly4 LawnSite Member

here is the situation also...the 70 accounts add up to $1,650 per week for 30 weeks. but it will only take me 3 days to complete. that leaves me 2 days (no rain) to do small landscaping jobs to do for the rest of the week...also would be taking a pay cut if there wouldnt be much work after that..i guess i am more worried about my boss than myself...dont really want to leave any burned bridges if you know what i mean..

4. solly4

solly4 LawnSite Member

any more advice out there? kind of a big decision

5. GraZZmaZter

GraZZmaZter LawnSite Senior Member

go for it. Dont worry about your boss. He should be happy to see you improve your life

6. o-so-n-so

o-so-n-so LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Alabama

Have you ever heard the old saying? "You got to learn to crawl, before you can walk." Your situation proves this to be wrong.
    1. You have 12 years of education in the business.
    2. The opportunity to start up where most businesses take years to reach.
    3. No purchases....WOW

At age 29, this is truly a crossroads in your life. It will be the BEST or the worst decision you will ever make.

The money will come...

7. SWR11

SWR11 LawnSite Member

I am amazed that some thought about the boss.!!
    Nice to hear, I think you should talk to your boss and tell him what your thinking. He even might offer you more money to stay around and offer you a finders fee for those new clients.
    If you think you have what it gots, go for it!!!!!!!!!!
    LAtER

8. Mike Bradbury

Mike Bradbury LawnSite Senior Member

for thinking of others. It is late to leave him hanging. Especially if you are in charge of others, he depends on your abilities.
    Why not talk to him like you are here. "I'm undecided, but I have this opportunity" and see what he says? Maybe he'll say "go for it" and you will continue to have a relationship that could be of benefit to you. Maybe he says "screw you" and you do what you want without feeling bad about it.
    Yes you have to watch out for #1. But maybe there is a point of agreement that can be reached without pissing anyone off. Maybe you help him out those 2 off days until he fills your old position. Could be many different scenerios that play out here.
    Communicate!:blob2:

9. HOMER

HOMER LawnSite Gold Member

I guess you don't realize how long it takes to get 70 accounts!

Have you been reading all the posts about advertising and folks busting their chops to gain more business?

Your being given the opportunity most on here would have killed for early in their careers.

Instant cash flow
    Instant customer base
    4 days off a week

That's 70 potential landscape customers and all season to build more of a customer base.

Unless your boss was born into the business he has---- then at one time or another he had to tellhis boss the same thing.

Time to move on? What better opportunity are you going to come up with on your own. Start from scratch like 99% of the members here? Your life is your life, you've paid your dues.

Do what feels right and good luck.

10. jeffex

jeffex LawnSite Bronze Member

If you are that concerned about your relationship with your boss talk to him. If you want to stay with the company I have a suggestion. Approach him with the idea of moving you up the ladder. That will include more responsibility and PAY. Mention that you want to be part of the GETTING work aspect of the company. Have a pay idea in mind. My suggestion would be a % of the business as well as your hr. rate. THen you could show your hand at bringing the accounts into his company. I would respect that from anyone working with me.
    OR you could be self employed. It is your dilemma or your opportunity