get it or not?

Discussion in 'Trucks and Trailers' started by jwalk, Apr 9, 2003.

1. jwalk

jwalk LawnSite Member

A friend of mine is selling his 97 GMC Sierra Z71. It has a 6 inch suspension lift and 35" tires. Is this a bad idea for a work truck. I will be using it to tow a 5x12 with 2 walk behinds. He is selling it for 11,000. I need some advice.....

2. Edgewater

Edgewater LawnSite Senior Member

Is the truck a half ton?

I lifted truck is going to cost you more to maintain than a stocker. I would try and find a clean 3/4 ton and go with that.

The extra height means lifting higher and 35 inch tires are $$$ compared to the 30 or 31 that are stock.'

Just my $0.02

Adam

3. grassdaddy

grassdaddy LawnSite Senior Member

I'M with Adam--And 11,000 will buy you a REAL work truck!!

4. Shadetree Ltd

Shadetree Ltd LawnSite Senior Member

I loved my old 91 stepside z71 but they are not a work truck. The independant front suspension with 6" of lift is not meant to tow very much very often. They are high maintenance front ends once lifted.

Scott

5. LB Landscaping

LB Landscaping LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Maine

Throwing debris and stuff into the back of a truck is a PITA in a regular truck, I wouldn't want to do it in a truck with a 6" lift and 35" tires.:dizzy:

6. wriken

wriken LawnSite Silver Member

Had a 99 f-150, 4.6, 3" body lift, 33 tires, cat-back duels, k/n fipk kit, superchip, 4:10 gears. just about useless as far as towing, lots of lady's looked though. smartened up and got a 02 P/S'er. I would look for a work truck, not a show truck.

mvc-007s.jpg

7. jwalk

jwalk LawnSite Member

thanks for all the info guys....i will definatley not be getting that truck. that was the way i was leaning anyways but i needed some reassurance....

8. rodfather

rodfather LawnSite Fanatic

Something like that doesn't fit the image...more of a toy for off-roading IMO.

9. Mykster

Mykster LawnSite Senior Member

Not to mention the gas mileage with 35" tires and pulling a trailer.

10. KevlarLawnCare

KevlarLawnCare LawnSite Member
    from Jax, FL

Go with the work truck...

I'm runnin SuperSwamper TSL 33x12.50 3"body, though it pulls just about anything nicely... at times i wish the bed was lower....

i also have a 01 Z71 with 6" lift with 35" Boggers... could not dream of dealing with it all day....

i have gotten a job because of it... it's tall and it caches an eye..