Get my thief!!!

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Envy Lawn Service, Jul 5, 2003.

1. Envy Lawn Service

Envy Lawn Service LawnSite Fanatic

OK, I'm the victim of big time fuel theft! I'm talking 2 tanks nearly drained completely this time. I've been having an occasional theft of gas out of the Z since I got it. A few gallons fairly regularly and a few times nearly 5 gallons. But never both tanks and of all things it was sitting right next to a window. I put it there overnight during a mulch job because I got rained out mid-way and had mulch still on the trailer. The mower was soaked and I didn't want to take it inside.

I don't always unload and put my equipment inside every night. I haven't really felt I had too until now, and often it's dark when I get in and I'll be leaving before daylight in the morning.

How can I get this thief? I don't want to be forced to unload every night and load every morning. Are there any locking caps I can get for it?
  2. ffemt1271

ffemt1271 LawnSite Bronze Member

get a 5 gallon gas can(easy to tote off) and fillit with gas/ sugar/sand mixture--whoever is getting it won't be needing it for long:D
  3. A1 Grass

A1 Grass LawnSite Senior Member

I like the way you think! I'd definitely try that!
  4. Envy Lawn Service

I've thought of doing that. I even went as far as to see how I could block things off and put it in the tank. However, my luck would be that they would return the favor in everything I own.
  5. Turf Medic

Turf Medic LawnSite Bronze Member

Is the area where you park your equipment well lighted? Can you install a motion detector type of light? I wouldn't try the bad gas thing, you are right they will probably return the favor.
  6. ElephantNest

ElephantNest LawnSite Bronze Member
    from La.

Cheap home security camera, seen many under $100.00. If you have a VCR and a tape, catch that sucker red-handed, if the sight of the camera doesn't scare him off to begin with.
  7. Envy Lawn Service

The area is a fairly well lighted area. Atleast 2 street lights shine there. But maybe a motion light might be more effective.

I will also look into the cheapie cameras. I would like to catch whoever is doing it. The camera is a better idea than me watching all night. Seeing the person in the flesh doing me that deed would lead to much good.

A good beating about the head, neck and ears would surely be in order then.
  8. Solution: Land-Shark

aka: American Bull Terrier

I'd post a picture of one, but I'd get banned for scaring the faint-hearted.
  9. Mickhippy

Mickhippy LawnSite Platinum Member

Get a dog! A big mean mother.
  10. Envy Lawn Service

I have 2 pits....both indoors :rolleyes:

Doing me a lot of good in here huh? :rolleyes: