get paid more... cause your slow?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Brianslawn, Apr 10, 2006.

1. Brianslawn

Brianslawn LawnSite Silver Member

a friend of mine just told me a couple yards he mows, he gets more money than last guy for them. my friend is a bit older gentleman and not as quick as say me. the customers went with him and at higher price, cause they didnt think theyre getting their moneys worth when 3 man crew comes in and is done in 10 min. he does exact same quality of job, but takes him 40 min solo. other crew has been at it for 10 years, friend... just a couple.

why is it people are willing to pay a slow beginner more for the same job than they would a crew thats been doing it for a long time.

does this mean as you get better, youll have to drop your prices to keep customers, cause they think they get less service as you get done quicker?

would you pay an 18 year old first timer more to redo the roof on your house cause itll take hime longer than a crew who has done 10,000 roofs in their career?

2. CutInEdge Lawn Care

CutInEdge Lawn Care LawnSite Senior Member

Could be that they have better repore with the older gentleman. Maybe the older gentlemen answers his phone. ie.. more personalized service CUSTOMER SERVICE

3. ENDURO

ENDURO LawnSite Member

I agree with the post about slower being better sometimes. I think it's just human nature for people to feel like they may be getting ripped off if the job they paid for is done too quickly. I'm not agreeing w/ this concept, but I believe it does exist. Unfortunatly, in this line of work, you need to work quick.

4. topsites

topsites LawnSite Fanatic

Oh, I thought you meant you have less work when you price high, as that has been my experience (raising prices lowers demand).

Far as the other bit, it's all relative, it's how you perceive it. To me, it was a matter of letting go of the 'caring' attitude and stop giving a rat. Once I did that, I felt relieved and I could quote whatever and it's based on $60 / hour with a $35 minimum and once I did this, most of them ran fast. With slightly over half last year's customers, I'm nevertheless earning 75% of last year's money with far less stress and bs, and the base is slowly rebuilding but I do plan on a lean year as of now (the dry weather hasn't helped lol).

So far, so good. It's all about perception, your friend may not fare so well in the end because he's new and I'm not so sure what to think but if he's shrewd as a businessman, I do know age helps so if he's older, he's likely to be shrewder than a younger person. At least me, I think less and less about other people's problems and put my price to them and take it or leave it, it's not about how much they're willing to pay, it's about how much I have to get to make sure my tail gets out of bed because I'm almost 40.

Now it's off to the bank, come back and get the truck and finish off a 3-hour project that will land me 240.00 ... I should be home by 4 or 5 at the latest, might grab the mower to run off and cut a yard or two, or maybe not.

Oh yeah, I don't charge a $60 / hour maximum, it's not the most I earn, that's the least: $60 hour is my minimum, sometimes I earn more, and all I want nowadays is more and more.

See how that works.