Get Paid to advertise your company

Discussion in 'Business Operations' started by EliteImpressions, Dec 18, 2004.

1. EliteImpressions

EliteImpressions LawnSite Member
    from Jersey

I am just starting out and have read this site hudereds of time in the past few months trying to learn the tricks of the trade and the such. Recently I was going trough the different printing sites online looking for nice looking post cards or brochures. The only problem was that they were way to expensive. Instead I thought of splitting the cost with serveral other business owners in my town. Im going to put out a "business spotlight" publication. The publication is going to have 64 pages that will feature different businesses throughout my town. The cataloge is 5 1/2 x 8 1/2 it is completely full color with the aqueous coating and a thicker cover to give a a very professional look. The only hard part is getting 60 other businesses to jump on the project as well. The total cost of the cataloge is 14k. The cost is for 20k cataloges along with the cost of having the company mail it to houses in three different zipcodes. Ill charge $275 a company which is dirt cheap considering its going to 20k houses, or less than .02 a house. If you price out mailing 20k oversized post cards, it costs roughly 6k. The total profit projected off of this is $2500, not to bad for advertising my own company. Anybody think this will work? Im going to spend the month of January getting the business and then they will have a month to give me the final design of their page. Ill collect the money about 2 weeks before it prints to make sure that I dont get screwed out of any money. The site is www. printpelican.com. Please give me your honest opinions.

2. yrdandgardenhandyman

yrdandgardenhandyman LawnSite Senior Member
    from midwest

Let us know how it turns out. Co-op advertising hmmm?

3. out4now

out4now LawnSite Bronze Member
    from AZ

Businesses here already do that, goes in the trash real easy because there is never anything anyone wants in it. A bunch of services though is something they have not tried yet though, I'd personally be inclined to give a second look at that and especially if the photographs wer bright and glossy. Can you combine it with some sort of news letter to get people to actaully read it? You know community group activities and some featured stories of local business owners like YOURSELF, hey works for Martha Stewart right,commercial inside a commercial? In fact the more you can make it look like something with a green lawn and attractive home on the front the more likely the women will at least look at it. jmy.02

4. i_plant_art

i_plant_art LawnSite Senior Member

good idea but what kinda of business are you really in the landscape business or the advertising business.?????

5. Soupy

Soupy LawnSite Gold Member

Make sure you get the full front page. Most people will look at the cover and throw it away.

What happens if you can't find 60 business's to participate. Are you going to go back and tell the others that it is a no go. This could make you look real bad.

If you do this. I would let everyone know up front that you are just looking for a way for everyone to advertise for less money. Also I would make sure that coupons or special offers are made in each ad. This will attract readers. If successful I would make it a regular means of advertising, like every month, or 3 months.

If you are charging everyone the same then you need a method for handing out page #'s. Like order paid etc.

With all that said, I think you are going to spend more time on this project then it is worth. Have you tried http://postcardwarehouse.com

6. Team Gopher

Team Gopher LawnSite Platinum Member
    from -

Hi EliteImpressions,

I am absolutely certain you can do this if you want to. Please post what you created when you have time.

7. mastercare

mastercare LawnSite Senior Member

One of my weekly lawn customers actually does this for a living. She started the same way, trying to advertise some service of her own, and now she owns a coupon/advertising company.

The only problem around here is that there are so many of them. Almost every ad in these publications are for windows, siding, air duct cleaning, and leaf guards for your gutter. I rarely read them because I know they're full of stuff I normally won't consume. But, if you could get it so that they are services or items for sale and are multiple-use advertisements, I would look at it. I know that sentence didn't make sense....but put stuff in there like restaurants, dry cleaning, coffee shops, things that people will use, and use frequently. Give them a chance to save on things they already use (like lawn service) and you'll get more people reading them.

The catch 22....if you approached me as a business looking to advertise, I'd want to see a copy of your mailing to see who my competitors are, and to see what the general layout would be.....that's hard to show if you're sending out the 1st one! Just something to think about.....

8. ztoro

ztoro LawnSite Senior Member

seems like a second job...

Worrying about always haveing 60 businesses buying ads...

Sounds like a good Idea just a lot of extra work.. if you are making money of it I would say its worth it...

9. EliteImpressions

EliteImpressions LawnSite Member
    from Jersey

Sorry for the late response, but Im working 65hrs a week right now. I can only update on the weekends most of the time.

My real goal is to do lawn mowing, but if I can make money if different areas mind as well do it right? Also, I was thinking if I do this every three months, I could have enough money to last me through the winter months for when I mow lawns full time.

Im going to try to get all types of businesse (salons, pizza places, restauants, supermarkets, fast food, etc) The first few pages will probably be dedicated to up comming events in the towns and other things of the sort.

Soupy, I checked out the site and theyre about 6-8k more. Check out the rest of the products on the printpelican.com, theyre very reasonable and a quicker turn around than vistaprint. Customer service has been good so far as well.

mastercare, I should be getting some of their samples shortly so hopefully I can use them for examples. Or, I was going to tell the website what I was doing and maybe theyll make a small catalog using past customers designs. They should if Im ordering over 60k in catalogs a year.

I received samples from other companies and they look like professional publications, photographs even looked perfect. I try to update on my progress but Im shooting to publish the first one for the first week of March. I know its going to take some time getting 60 customers.

10. Anthony-MB

Anthony-MB LawnSite Member
    from georgia

I think you have a great idea.
    If you create an AD company you might be able to get a discount of 5 to 15% on classifieds, insertions in newspapers and printing.
    Also try contacting local Avertising companies - let them know about your service catalog and that you have ad space available.

good luck