Get PAID to dump grass/leaves in future?

Discussion in 'General Industry Discussions' started by Marcos, Sep 4, 2007.

1. Marcos

Marcos LawnSite Gold Member

With the advent and the advancement of the technology that has created ethanol out of corn, sawgrass and so many other field-grown plants, how much more time will it be before that technology is tweaked towards economically producing ethanol from biosolids like the GRASS AND LEAVES you all need to get rid of all the time?
    How high does the national energy demand have to be to make the biosolids we use in the Green Industry a viable a economical source for ethanol production to keep our cars running and OPEC a minor oil player?
    Until we catch up with where we SHOULD BE right now in hydrogen and electric vehicles the big focus in the USA will remain on ethanol. And, I envision, within this decade, that the sources for ethanol will run so scarce that there will be a market blooming in biosolids. Soon, I believe a given mower or landscaper will actually GET PAID nominally (at first) to dump their CLEAN loads of grass clippings / leaves / brush at designated township or county dump sites. Your thoughts and your predictions?

2. Drew Gemma

Drew Gemma LawnSite Bronze Member

they already have the technology to do it they can make ethanol from it but the metal used to react with it is rare and expensive check out eco tech on the science channel

3. steve5966

steve5966 LawnSite Member

The price is going to have to be pretty high to make it worth bagging and hauling clippings. If you look at the time it takes to bag a yard, plus tarping and hauling. That is if you have the room in your truck to carry it. Right now most people just mulch it.

4. Drew Gemma

Drew Gemma LawnSite Bronze Member

steve if you don't bag around here you don't cut 90 percent are bag only on large properties it is different

5. Marcos

I agree, Steve. Most people in Ohio use gators or whatever and mulch them too. But it's a MUCH different story here though in the springtime, and at the height of leaf season. And there are other folks along the east coast who's customers FORBID them from doing nothing but bagging the debris and hauling it off.
    (See the discussion that led to this thread: 'LAWN REFUSE' in this forum 'General Green Industry Discussions')
    Oh, I'm sure they'd be no shortage of green stuff to dump to begin the ethanol making process, considering that, yes, the homeowners would probably also be welcomed to add to the piles.
    Anybody else?

6. Marcos

Exactly. You're on top of it. And they're trying to do it with lesser expensive metals right now because it's not practical. That's what's holding up the progress at this point.:confused:

7. topsites

topsites LawnSite Fanatic

I would have no real problem with it, but I have to get at least $20 bucks or so per 1/4 acre to make it worth my while, really we're talking $100 per cubic yard or so. Because bagging is plain ineffective, there isn't a system in the world that works great for little money, the few highly effective ones I've seen cost a dang fortune (and I mean more than a few thousand).

I don't even use the bagger, if it's ever that bad I just make piles of clippings with the mower and rake + tarp that stuff, way faster but still a LOT of work... Few lawns get away from me like that anymore, and truth be known those are the only ones that produce any serious cut grass volume, but what, 1/2 cu.yd. per acre? What do they expect me to bag and dump 3 little bags worth per yard, you got to be kidding, when I cut grass I cut some GRASS... There's so much comes flying out the chute I literally EAT the stuff it flies everywhere, we're talking DISCHARGE here not some little pansy homeowner model ooops it grew an inch I think it needs cutting, you can't TOUCH my lawns with no homeowner's model unless you plan on spending the afternoon... But THAT's the kind of volume might be worth something, but then I got to let it grow another 3-4 inches and I already got enough HOAs on my case :laugh:

So I don't know but I think I'm better off tilling up 1/4 acre of my own lot and planting corn.

8. Marcos

9. MarksTLC

MarksTLC LawnSite Member

I think it would be great, but I can't see the township/borough (government) letting anything go that they can make additional monies from. Let alone pay us to collect and bring it to them.

Even my local recycling guy that picks up washer, dryers, whatever for metal. He wants to charge $25 for the trip and then gets paid for the metals he sells.

10. ACutAbovesiny

ACutAbovesiny LawnSite Senior Member

It's different for everyone i guess. Over here in Staten Island, NY the standard is to bag and haul. Now I wish I had the property to recycle it but I dont. I have to bring it to a recycling center...and it costs me money. There is no getting around it.