Get-R-Cut --> bad landscaping name?

Discussion in 'Starting a Lawn Care Business' started by duelly44, Mar 30, 2008.

1. hackitdown

hackitdown LawnSite Silver Member

I wouldn't call a company by that name, it sounds too redneck to me.

2. MarcSmith

MarcSmith LawnSite Fanatic

would you take your car or truck to a one stop oil place that has the name "get-r-changed", or a restaurant with the name "Get-r-cooked" or a dentist with the name "get-em-cleaned" or a barber with the name "get-r-cut". We btch about how as an industry on the whole we get shat on, and not taken seriously, and you have a name like "get-r-cut" and we wonder why we are not taken seriously as an industry/career.

a catchy name is nice. but I had MJS Landscaping in Florida....and it was fine....never had any yellow pages ads never had any flyers, and I had three crews running.

The name isn't everything, buts it the first thing a customer sees. While it may be humorous i'm sure some clients will think of larry the cable guy and and wonder, Do I really want a fat, ignorant, loudmouth, redneck working at my home? Don't know about you, but I would not want it at my house, and even if you aren't a fat, obnoxious redneck, you name says you are...

3. ExcaliburLawnCare

ExcaliburLawnCare LawnSite Member
    from MI

It is the connotation along with bad grammar. People DO JUDGE you on appearance, quality, and yes....your vocabulary. Like it or not, anything associated with a redneckesque sound will probably be scoffed at by your upper middle through upper class population to whom you may be marketing yourself. Here is a tip...no one wants to see a bunch of guys working without their shirts, no one wants to see you smoking, and no one wants a slack-jawed-yokel doing any work on their property.

4. All_Toro_4ME

All_Toro_4ME LawnSite Bronze Member

Aside from the bus name, can I ask why you are charging $12/week? And then on top of that, you are offering a $3 discount if they commit for the summer. So front and back mowing, edging, trimming and blowing for 9 bucks. WOW!!! The name, as others have mentioned hurts this industry, but the lowballing aspect destroys us......

5. TexasFire221

TexasFire221 LawnSite Senior Member
    from Texas

I could sub out all my yards to you for 12 bucks and get RICH!!!!!!!

6. duelly44

duelly44 LawnSite Member

i dont actually cut everyone for 12$ im not a moron. i only had two lawns that i cut for $12. one was a trailer lot. yeah laugh it up get-r-cut cutting in a trailer park. nice image. and the other was a ladies front yard. they both were an easy under 5 minute job.

and if your living in detroit youll understand why you might actually have to go as low as 12$ a lawn. everyone is a undercutter here and if other people are not doing it to you the customer sure as hell will try. anything to save a lowsy buck

appreciate the comments. Thats kinda the thoughts i was getting when I was passing out flyers... these people wont take me seriously.

its a heck of a winter name though

get-r-plowed

7. TexasFire221

from Texas

To each their own but unless its my next door neighbor I dont unload my trailer for less than $35. As far as the flyers go, its still a bit early. I only have about 30% of my clients calling this year so far.

8. TexasFire221

from Texas

And I hate the name "weed wacker"

9. Indy Kyle

Indy Kyle LawnSite Member

Every time I hear that tired old saying get- r- done I cringe. I don't personally feel that a company name can help you much but they can certainly hurt you. This one is probably hurting you a little.

10. jdmcat

jdmcat LawnSite Senior Member
    from Idaho

$12/cut is not lowballing if that is the going rate in his area. There are several neighborhoods in my town where the lawns are only 2-3000 sq ft, in fact I live in one of them. If you guys think you can charge $35 to mow these lawns, go ahead and try it. My minimum is $15 and I can do up to 5 in an hour with a 21" no problem, mow, trim and blow. That doesn't mean I mow a half acre for $15, that's as crazy as mowing 2000 sq ft for $35.

BTW, I would use a different name, joke names make you sound like a fly-by-nighter and will probably keep you from getting some of those lawns that you want.