1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community on the Franchising Forum.

Dismiss Notice

get rid of bermuda in st augustine

Discussion in 'Homeowner Assistance Forum' started by Real_texan, Apr 19, 2013.

1. Real_texan

Real_texan LawnSite Member

I have some bermuda grass growing in my st augustine, I've been trying for years to get rid of it and its getting bigger. what Can I do to get rid of it.

2. tdr6874

tdr6874 LawnSite Member

re-sod...and then its only a prayer that it does not return...the seed will come in from everywhere...atrazine is said to kill bermuda and not st agust...never worked for me...gave up the fight and just sodded with bermuda...very easy to control weeds in bermuda as compared to st agustine...i would now only have st agustine if hoa made me or had a very shady lot

3. RAlmaroad

RAlmaroad LawnSite Silver Member
    from SC

Find a label for "Prograss" and spike with a little Atrazine 4L with a good sticker like MSO. It will take a couple of times. There is another product to add to the mix but is illegal on residental lawns.

4. greendoctor

greendoctor LawnSite Fanatic

Bermuda in a St Augustine lawn is telling me that the lawn is being cut too low, not watered enough and getting too much sun. I don't know what to say when the HOA tells you you must have it, yet your water company imposes restrictions on irrigation such that it is impossible to keep it.

5. ed2hess

ed2hess LawnSite Fanatic

In our city they want St Augustine replaced....and pay some bounty for doing it.

6. wildstarblazer

wildstarblazer LawnSite Senior Member

If it's not too large of an area, we used to put round up on a sponge type apparatus and just (carefully) brush or paint it on the taller blades of the Bermuda grass.

7. greendoctor

HOAs overruled? Real insanity is HOAs insisting on cool season grasses in a regions that get too hot in the summer for them to live. Of course, same problem happens. Bermuda shows up. In the words of Bill Engval "here's your sign".

On the other hand. I have problems getting people to accept St Augustine for areas that are too shady for the reel mowed bermuda and zoysia. Most people expect their lawn to look like the golf course fairways.

8. greendoctor

Smart. I do not think St Augustine belongs where it gets blasted by the sun and has to make do without water. Bermuda is more adapted to such treatment.

9. tdr6874

tdr6874 LawnSite Member

Yes my brother lives on a golf course and he is required to have st Augustine. All common areas and median/esplanades are Bermuda also. I did celebration Bermuda two seasons back. It's lots more work and very uncommon for residential in houston. But it sure makes people stop and stare. I am cutting 4 times a week already and it's not even hot yet.
    Posted via Mobile Device

10. Patriot Services

Patriot Services LawnSite Fanatic

I live on a fairway. They have a great mix of different Bermudas. The greens are some combo of dwarves and tbe fairways are a common mix. They feed and irrigate well. Fairways are mowed twice weeekly. That course is quite fast, but I think that's for the older folks that used to be the majority of residents but still come back to play almost daily.
    Posted via Mobile Device