1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Get some creative juices flowing...

Discussion in 'Organic Lawn Care' started by DeepGreenLawn, Jun 28, 2008.

1. DeepGreenLawn

DeepGreenLawn LawnSite Silver Member

OK, I want to see what kind of ideas we can come up with.

Other threads have contained these but usually are after wandering away from the main topic so I thought I would make it the topic here.

SO, if you have a suggestion or idea put it in the title and then go with it, we will comment or ask questions. Idea is to help others find easy, cheap (if not free) ways to compost and do other things needed in our processes such as spreading, etc.
  2. DeepGreenLawn

I posted this in another thread,

What about taking old tires, stacking them up and using them for a vermicompost bin. The bottom tire can have a bottom designed and then on top of it you can put your screen to help seperate their "living quarters" from the feeding zone.

Someone had mentioned the posibility of the tires leeching, there will always be things to consider, would using REALLY old tires help solve this problem?
  3. DeepGreenLawn

OK, I just finished my screen I built to screen my compost with. Not sure how well it will work but it seems sturdy enough and should get the job done.

I took an old canvas frame from my parents barn that my bro made for a painting that had been stripped and stored many years ago, tacked some chicken wire(?) to it and there you go. Wire and tacks cost about $10. Find a construction site and I am sure you can find some scrap wood to make your frame, the screen was cheap but you may be able to find some somewhere for free. Any ideas? And the tacks were $2 for a box, cheap enough if you ask me.

I will try to get a pic posted. As I was working on this and talking with someone else who posted a pic of a trailer something caught my eye. The gate... looks like a good basic screen to me, and when you go to dump/pick up the compost, it is usually right ther with you. Why not use it? As long as it is easy to take on and off.
  4. treegal1

treegal1 LawnSite Gold Member

why take the tail gate off, just rake your compost down and the overburden gets raked off to the side or goes to the compost pile for another go???
  5. DeepGreenLawn

there you go, throw a piece of ply wood underneath to catch it... have some rope for a handle, and off you go.