Get Strapped....weed eater straps that is..

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Andyinchville2, Sep 12, 2004.

1. Andyinchville2

Andyinchville2 LawnSite Member

I was just wondering how many of you out there use the factory supplied weedeater straps?....I bought a Shin t350
    for some rather large and thick weedeating jobs but since the unit does get heavy after awhile I was planning on using the strap to carry the weight. I planned on starting my first job with the 350 next week but decided to first get used to it (using the strap that ie) by weed eating normal lawns....Is it just me or do you all find that the strap is practically useless alot of times?....I mean the strap hinders you from tucking the weedeater under alot of obstructions, makes it hard to weedeat into holes if you are standing on the uphill side of the hole (of course you could bend down but then it's hard on your back and if you are on a really steep hill (like most of my thick weedeating will be) could cause you to lose balance....Of course when you weedeat things up hill from you alot of times you are carrying the weight with your arms anyway.....Aarg!.....Are straps really this useless or is there something I'm overlooking in using it?
  2. fixer67

fixer67 LawnSite Silver Member

These straps in my opinion are made to use on flat level ground where you could get a mower in to in the first place. Most LCOs that buy new trimmers at the shop just leave the strap laying on the counter when they leave with there new trimmer I have noticed. I thank you have already answered your own question about trimmer carrying straps.
  3. walker-talker

walker-talker LawnSite Platinum Member
    from Midwest

I never felt the need for a strap on my trimmer, but lately my right shoulder has been killing me running the edger. This is mainly on a HOA that has about 20 minutes of edging.
  4. Hacksquat

Hacksquat LawnSite Member

I just bought a Stihl FS 110, and it came with a shoulder strap. I have one account that requires a lot of trimming. I was excited about getting a little relief with the strap. I tried it, and it was useless!
    I agree with fixer, I think it's for flat ground.
  5. Hawkeye5

Hawkeye5 LawnSite Senior Member

I used a strap when I worked at the National Cemetery, but that was 8 hours of trimming 5 days a week. I don't use one now for every day work, but I do have the strap just in case. The trick to using a strap is to adjust it to perfection so the fit is correct for you, the strap holds most of the weight and you just guide the trimmer head.