Get the money first!!!!!!

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by tnt-g, May 16, 2003.

1. tnt-g

tnt-g LawnSite Member

Has this ever happened to anyone. You get the call about yard clean up and the go through what they want and you give them a price. Then when you show up all sorts of things get added on and they expect to pay the same price you quoted for more work. This is the stuff that makes me mad. I get a call today from a lady who says she will pay my bill but I didn't finish the job. When I go to talk to her she starts to tell me about extra work we never discussed. I tell her we can come back and do some more work for her and instantly she says "we already took care of it". Is she trying to get out of paying the bill? People need to get it together. My only advice is get the money up front.

2. thartz

thartz LawnSite Senior Member

Don't you give them a proposal before you start? Your profile says you have been in business 2 years.Do you work without contracts?

3. tnt-g

tnt-g LawnSite Member

I do give proposals but no contracts. I try to rust everyone and bill for labor monthly. Now I am starting to understand who should be billed upon completion. What kind of contract do you use?

4. Green in Idaho

Green in Idaho LawnSite Senior Member
    from Idaho

If you are doing a one-time job, you should present the bill at the completion for 100% of those type of accounts. Don't wait till the end of the month. "Payment due upon service rendered" very clearly on the proposal.

Even for your regular accounts, if it's a big ticket item bill at the completion of the job.

After the proposal is agreed upon additional items should be written as an "Add-On" Even it's a little sticky note. By writing down the additional request the customer will get the clue it will cost MORE and at the bottom write that amount, and stick it to the proposal. You can be sure the second request will will be thought about a little more than "while you're at it..."

5. tnt-g

tnt-g LawnSite Member

Green it sounds like you have been doing this for a while now. I thank you for the information. Billing upon completion is how we will conduct this kind of business if we take it at all.

6. Green Pastures

Green Pastures LawnSite Silver Member

Once a proposal is signed by both parties it becomes your contract.

Never do any work withour a contract, signed proposal or something in writing.

7. thartz

thartz LawnSite Senior Member

When I give the first proposal.It is signed by both parties.During the course of the work if add ons are brought up price is negotiated on the spot and a byline is written in the proposal with client initials beside it.This removes a lot of confusion.