Get This Guy

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by nelbuts, May 25, 2007.

1. nelbuts

nelbuts LawnSite Bronze Member
    from SW, FL

Ok we have a new guy in town.

He is going after the commercial properties.
    Here is what he is doing:
    Cut, Mow, Edge,
    Pool Service
    Irrigation repairs
    Landscape Services
    Janitor Service
    Window Cleaning
    Powering Sweeping
    Lawn and ornamental pest control
    One Month Free Service

Now here is the good part.
    He has no license for:
    Pool Service, Irrigation repairs, Landscaping services or the pest control.

The state has been informed concering the pest control and while he can sub it out he does not say he is going to sub it out. One investigation started.

The others he has no license and I have been informed that he will be issued citations for all three and a stop order. Total cost for the three citations is $750 and goes up if he is caught performing any of those services.

Right now three different companies will be keeping a camera in their trucks and watching him.

Oh and in case you are wondering I lost a $10K account to him and I was the one that sent all the information to the different departments. After I found out he only had a "handyman" license!!!

2. mkwl

mkwl LawnSite Bronze Member

I sure hope you're all liscensed and insured or this thing will come back to bite you in the @$$!

3. nelbuts

nelbuts LawnSite Bronze Member
    from SW, FL

Well let's see. Been doing this for 21 years. I have my landscape license which covers mowing and pruning.

Oh and I am a Florida state certified pest control operator. Which means I passed the most difficult test in the country to apply all types of pesticides labeled for lawns, trees and shrubs. Carry a million dollars of insurance and have the old workers comp. So I think I am pretty well covered.

You see if I don't have a license I don't do the work and I sure as heck don't advertise it.

Funny you posted because the moved here from NJ. Don't they research the laws there?

4. jsf343

jsf343 LawnSite Bronze Member

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

I would be ticked too. It has happened to me this season lost out to an illegal, in all sense of the word. I am sure you would agree that loosing out to a legal competitor is just part of the business from time to time, nobody likes it but it happens. Loosing out to one of these guys is another issue all together and it seems that is mainly what you are referring to. maybe you will end up getting that work back, that would be sweet justice huh?

5. lawnman_scott

lawnman_scott LawnSite Fanatic

Typical of this area. It seems that a license for anything is the last thing on anyones mind as long as the price is right.

6. topsites

topsites LawnSite Fanatic

I hear you, greasing the slide has been on my mind more than in the past of late.

I've had a few accounts flew the coop, I suspect similar lowball techniques, etc.
    But it is ok, I remember the rule that says 'never take another mans work.'

Either way I'm taking it, and way I see things I get it whether I kiss tail, or not.

What I don't get is, why is it, every single time I got my co as mean and lean as I think it can get, something always has to rear its ugly head and put me right back to square one? :laugh:

7. Mr Priceless

Mr Priceless LawnSite Senior Member

i hate bashing a dead horse or giving late advice, but why didn't you take care of the inconvienience before it became a problem? (i.e. busting the guy before he could snatch a job).

maybe you did beforehand, idk

8. Liquidfast

Liquidfast LawnSite Senior Member
    from Ontario

I am not in your shoes therefore I cannot knock you for your decision to bait this "lco".

If you lost a "10K" account, chances are they are shopping price and the fact that you lost it means the next one in line with a lower amount, you would have lost it to them too. Only the next lowballer that comes along MAY be licensed, insured and registered....then, the real problem occurs.

I have several large accounts and I can tell you with 100% certainty that I too would "drop a dime".

9. cpel2004

cpel2004 LawnSite Bronze Member

Well in the state of Florida its a felony to hire someone or a company that doesnt have a valid license. The problem is there not going after the companies or homeowners who hire these people.

10. hoskm01

hoskm01 LawnSite Fanatic

You need a license to mow a lawn or prune a tree/shrub? Come on... I love this work as much as the next guy, but it is not like surgery on a live person... Anything for a lawmaker with the "right" motivation.