Get This...

Discussion in 'General Industry Discussions' started by N&CLandscaping, Aug 14, 2006.

1. N&CLandscaping

N&CLandscaping LawnSite Senior Member

As many of you know im young, 16 and own my own successfull company. A few months ago I was working part time for this guy. He was an old guy and had no knowledge of the industry becides cut and go. Anyway about 2 weeks ago I gave him my notice and said look this is not working out, so, I thought it was clear to him. I get back from Vacation and there is a message on my phone, it says Nick, ya can you help me this Saturday, im sick, which he really was. So I called him back and said, what the heck one more day aint gonna kill me. I hapend to not have to work that Saturday so I said ya what ever. Well tonight I get a call saying "Im tired of your lies and your not working for me anymore". Being polite I said ok and hung up the phone. I didnt want to get into any more crap with this guy. Now my reputation could be on the line if he goes around saying crap about me. I think there is some pice of information im missing, I Just dont know what his problem is? What do you guys think?

2. DoetschOutdoor

DoetschOutdoor LawnSite Bronze Member
    from S. IL

Posts like this are pointless I beleive. You should know that you did nothing wrong and if you gave him your notice, you should not have gone back to work for him for only one day. Call him back and tell him that you are not going to be working for him anymore. If you have a sucessful company, then no old guy could ruin your rep. What is there really to be asking here?

3. N&CLandscaping

N&CLandscaping LawnSite Senior Member

I guess nothing really I was just wondering what other people would think? Thats All

4. i_plant_art

i_plant_art LawnSite Senior Member

gee wiz doet let the kids vent .................. he just need someone to holla at and get his frustrations out and beside hes probally actually looking for advice on the situation since he went to the trouble to post. hes young got an older guy jackin him around and doesnt know how to respond b.c IT HASNT EVER HAPPENED TO HIM B4, BUT I BET THERE IS SOMEONE HERE WHO IT HAS HAPPENED TO THATS WHY HES POSTING!!!!!!!!!!!!

ok kid... just let the old guy go on... hes probally short handed or upset that you left him to go on your own and him knowing that your going to make it w/o him just makes him furiated maybe i dont know... if he calls back be polite, no matter how rude he is and if he asks where you have been then remind him that you gave your notice. he dont control you, and you know this, he may just being trying to intimidate you as well cause he knows he needs you around cause your a good worker and those are hard to find esp in this day and age, and ESP young guys your age. as far as ruining your name, dont fret it, unless your in some honky tonk town it wont happen, there are tooooooooooo many people out there in this world with green grass to be cut.

have a good one

5. DoetschOutdoor

DoetschOutdoor LawnSite Bronze Member
    from S. IL

Actually, no it has not ever happened to me. I would not let some old guy yell at me when I gave him notice and wanted to get my business started. I didnt mean to sound like I was going off or anything but only you can know what is missing. If you gave him proper notice, you are not required to work for him and you really dont even have to give him a reason other than you do not want to work for him anymore since he is being rude to you. Quit working for the stubborn man, go out there and build your business strong. I got fired from a carwash for giving out a $6 wash one time and it was the best thing that has ever happened to me job wise because it gave me time to build my lawn biz. Now I drive by the carwash and smile when I think I could be listening to drivers complain about their washes and making less than $10/hour

6. Littleriver1

Littleriver1 LawnSite Senior Member

You build your business on honesty and reliability and you don't worry us old guys. All men lie, that's just the way it is. When we screw up we lie about it and blame it on someone else. That's just the way it is. So when some one tells you something about some one else, it's probably a lie. Everyone knows that but we listen anyway because we like to hear stuff about other people. That's just the way it is. It's like when you hear that another LCO just picked up 10 new accounts, you feel like you lost something. You didn't really lose anything, but you lie to yourself anyway. Be righteous, stop trying to justify other peoples poor behavior.

7. TurfProSTL

TurfProSTL LawnSite Senior Member

What Littleriver said.....

I think :dizzy:

8. rfed32

rfed32 LawnSite Senior Member
    from Hatboro

its all hear say...you may lose accounts but ull get new ones...this guy is just pissed that he has no one to work for him...keep doing what your doing...if he calls again just say look i gave you my two weeks i helped you out when u were sick im a good guy not a bad one...its not like you quit and didnt come back the next day u stuck it out for the 2weeks you did the right thing....just keep workin hard nd ull do fine...

9. daveintoledo

daveintoledo LawnSite Silver Member

why did you give him notice, has to be a reason, ..... sounds like maybe only getting half the story....what was the conflict.....

10. topsites

topsites LawnSite Fanatic

Ahhh yes he got piszzled because you did the right thing and he could not stand that he didn't get the opportunity to put you in your place but you did it for him and he did not like that, so he calls you one last time so he has the chance to do it and now he feels good and YOU feel bad, instead of the other way around, smart old guy he is.

So...
    1) Never give notice, they are not your employers and you are not their employee. If you need to stop servicing the lot then simply inform them you will no longer be servicing the property, nothing else, no explanations or nothing.
    2) Anybody whom you have dropped for any reason, if they ever call back chances are it's just going to be the same old song and dance so it really is best, once dropped keep it like that. Nope, not even for old time's sake.
    3) This guy has some kind of a problem which is he thinks of you as his lawn 'boy.' In time you will learn how to see this kind coming, as for me I don't even get started servicing properties for this kind of people, as soon as I see this kind coming it's over and I mean I don't even go estimate if I can see it on the phone, they are nothing but trouble.