Get tired of debris flying out from under your deck and hitting things.

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by WHIPPLE5.7, Apr 25, 2008.

1. WHIPPLE5.7

WHIPPLE5.7 LawnSite Senior Member

I was always so worried every time small rocks, sticks, etc. would fly out from under my deck and travel extreme distances so I finally did something about it. I got some 1/8" thick X 1.25 tall rubber and apllied it to the lower portion of my decks. The debris now hits the rubber and shoots out at more like a 45 degree angle towards the ground next to the machine. If some of you may think this isn't for you don't bash me, I'm just speaking of my good luck with this setup. I often work very close to big windows and expensive cars and was fed up with worrying all the time. This is cheap and effective. I just thaught I'd share the tip for some you who may find it useful.

2. CFB

CFB LawnSite Senior Member

I would love to see pics of that setup. I'm in the same boat you are with the worrying.

3. mowinginva

mowinginva LawnSite Senior Member

What about an ocdc?

4. CFB

CFB LawnSite Senior Member

things still fly out from under the deck even w/ the chute closed or mulching.

5. WHIPPLE5.7

WHIPPLE5.7 LawnSite Senior Member

I bag mow only. I'm not talking about the side exit of the deck, I'm talking under the whole deck. Lets say you doing a property that hasn't been mowed in 15 days during the peak of growing season and have to make one pass set high and a final set low. On the high setting pass the deck is off the ground by quite a margin and leaves lots space for UFOs to exit into the side a $50,000 escalade or sports car.

6. Tharrell

Tharrell LawnSite Silver Member

Let's see some pics. Tony

7. ed2hess

ed2hess LawnSite Fanatic

We got a new velocity plus Scag and with the outlet closed the blow out is so bad it is almost impossible to mow. I was thinking about dropping down a curtain in front but thought it might not make much difference. I may have to take the outlet closure device off and just blow it out.. Haven't't found good goggles that will not fog and will not let in dust.

8. whoopassonthebluegrass

whoopassonthebluegrass LawnSite Platinum Member

Interesting, b/c I was actually gonna build the same thing on the sides and back of my deck - but for preventing leaf blowout in the fall...

9. tacoma200

tacoma200 LawnSite Fanatic

Manual or electric that is the best solution. I also lower the rpm's if my deck in pointing in certain directions, it works. Nothing is 100% full proof. Probably more damage done with trimmers.

10. bill8379

bill8379 LawnSite Senior Member

A big rubber discharge chute is exactly what came on my toro, I went one better and put a mulch kit on.