1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Get what you pay for? Used Scag Walkbehind.

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Sir Mow-A-Lot, Jan 26, 2005.

1. Sir Mow-A-Lot

Sir Mow-A-Lot LawnSite Member

Saw an ad for a Scag 48" WB belt drive for $300.00 Supposedly runs & cuts good but one wheel does not turn. Seller thinks it needs a nex axle.

I need a walkbehind and am pressed for cash right now. Do you think this machine is worth getting on the cheap and trying to fix? Any experience with wheel problems on Scags?

TURF DOCTOR LawnSite Silver Member

3. scaglawnsnj

scaglawnsnj LawnSite Senior Member
    from nj

You better buy that before i do
    scag is top of the line jump on that deal immediatly
    get new wheel bearing a grease that thing like a mother
    300 for a scag it probly needs the clamp from the trans to the pulley spindle
    you can't miss it..its right of the trans spindle..a chunky round thing that cost 10.00..they are natorious for blowing out from heat streatch
  4. AL Inc

AL Inc LawnSite Bronze Member

Sounds easy enough to fix. I have a '97 that is a tank and we still use it everyday during cutting season
  5. Sir Mow-A-Lot

looks like 2 to 1 in favor. Thanks for your advice. I'll probably take alook..see if it starts.
  6. ed2hess

ed2hess LawnSite Fanatic

This should be easy to solve...my 32" have bearing inside the wheels...so probably only needs bearings. It is possible that the bearing has seized up, so pull it off and check it. This should be cheap to fix, however if the owner hasn't greased the wheels then I would worry about condition of spindles, front wheels, etc. You can check all these parts for "play" to better determine the condition. Be sure the blade clutch works...should snap in without a lot of squeaking.
  7. Sir Mow-A-Lot

I assume the less 'play' the better?

Any other things to look for? Is there a 'checklist' of things you'd go through before buying?
  8. Sir Mow-A-Lot

also what does a squeaky clutch indicate?
  9. No Sweat L/C

No Sweat L/C LawnSite Member

If it has a electric clutch it is a 1996 or newer. The electric clutch models also have the better blade spindles. If it has the manual clutch look for slop in the blade engagement. Also look for deck wear or holes near the discharge. Old Scags usually have worn out decks. Just make sure that it doesn't have a bunch of holes in the deck, new decks are about $800.00 or more!!
    My 52" Hydro with a electric clutch almost always makes a small noise when it is turned on.
  10. jim dailey

jim dailey LawnSite Senior Member

Is that the one that is listed in the Want Ad? I have seen it in there for awhile. Maybe that is a bad thing. If it is the old Peerless Tecumseh Transmission, should not be a whole lot of worry. The stub Axle comes out of the transmission, into an axle coupler, with the axle being the "other side". I have a couple of old w/b's with this same set-up. Usualy the coupler goes bad. The axle goes through the frame of the machine, through a bearing. It is held there with a couple of clips, one on the interior and one on the exterior of the bearing. You need snap ring pliers to remove the clips. Slide the axle partially out and replace BOTH of the axle couplers. Make sure that the new ones have zerk (grease) fittings and grease well after installation. If you want to, replace all four of the clips and both of the bearings. Grand total now should be in the $ 50.00 range. When the mower is running, when you go to see it and before any repairs, let it run in gear for a minute and watch on the bad side to see that the stub axle coming out of the transmission is indeed turning inside the axle coupler. When I used to use the belt drivesw all year long, sometimes I had to replace the axle couplers 2-3 times a year. Let me know how you make out. I live not too far from that mower and have been watching. No problem, I am in Florida for the winter...It is waiting for you. See how it runs, then go from there. If the motor is good, spindles are good, transmission works and all controls are operable... I would go for it for the amount of money. Tires and blades are cheap. @ guys can put it right in the back of a truck. Take the big step and let us all know...JIM.