get with it gd

Discussion in 'Great Dane' started by apluslawn, Feb 12, 2004.

1. apluslawn

apluslawn LawnSite Member

I have a 25 hp kohler 52in cut chariot sr. It has 43 hrs on it.

I got it last fall with 8 hrs on it from a gd dealer. he said a gd rep brought it to him and he didnt know anything about where it came from. I thought about it for a while and the price was which caused me to buy it. $6400$ The machine backfires every time I turn it off unless i put it on low throttle and then it only slightly backfires. my gd dealer told me its not abig deal and cant be fixed. I want this fixed. Iam also dissappointed that gd doesnt make a stripe kit for their machines. If they make these machines they should stand behind them better and make accesories like all the other brands. get with it great dane!!!! ***Does anyone have any ideas how I can make a stripe kit for my chariot?

2. Phishook

Phishook LawnSite Bronze Member

Take a 5'' x 61" piece of rubber flap, bolt it on wherer the anti scalpe rollers go. Then you'll have to cut out for the deck support arms.
    mine stripes fine with out it, but that makes them a little darker.

$5 says they end their reply with, "Thank you for using Great Dane products".

im000354.jpg

3. djp

djp LawnSite Member
    from Texas

Aplus,

The Kohler engines are notorious for backfiring. Generally if you will idle them down for a few seconds this will solve the problem. If this does not take care of it your dealer should be able to solve the issue if he can't have him get Kohler involved. The stripping attachment is on our list of items we want to add but there are other items on the list above it. Sorry for any inconvience this may have caused you.

Thanks for using Great Dane Products.

PS: Phishook, we should split the $5.00 I did this just so you could win.

4. pinnacle

pinnacle LawnSite Senior Member

apluslawn,
    Move the throttle to THREE QUARTER for about 10 seconds....So somwhere inbetween full and half throttle . Not half......not low! This will solve your backfiring issue. I'll put $5 on it. lol

5. apluslawn

apluslawn LawnSite Member

thanks phishook i will try the rubber striper.my machine is in storage right now but in a few weeks I will get the back firing issue figured out. thanks for the help!!!!!!

6. 4evergreenlawns

4evergreenlawns LawnSite Member

I would like to say that GD stands behind their product and I have 1st hand experiences of this. A engine back firing is not a GD product problem. The engine on my 52" SS never back fires. But it starts ever time, gives a final cut not matched by any other, and cuts on hills, and at speeds like nothing else I have run.

As for striping kits IMHO they are bogus and just smoke and mirrors. Do the other companies with stripping kits give you the same production rates at GD? Not likely, because if they did you would have bought something else.

If the deck is set right and the turf lenght is right and thick enough the turf is should lay down just fine. Running rubber flaps, and chains over the turf, or designing a deck to drag the turf is just flat out not good for it. More LCO's should learn how to get a quality natural cut and stop looking for more short cuts and blaming someone else for it.

Thank you Great Dane for offering great products.

7. Avery

Avery LawnSite Bronze Member

Ditto. More towards full than half. No more backfires. Works like a charm.