Get your ZTR out of the mud free card

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Tea to Green, May 6, 2004.

1. Tea to Green

Tea to Green LawnSite Member

How many of you guys have gotten stuck on your ZTRs already this year? The last time I got stuck was at a 5 acre church I just picked up. I had to use my seat presence bypass wire to get out of it.

As you guys know. The mower's engine will stall if you get out of the seat with the parking brake off. That used to frustrate me, because I knew that I'd be able to get out of a lot of these situations quickly and easily if I could just figure out a way to get the mower to keep it's drive wheels turning slowly, while I was pushing, or pulling it to get it out.

All I did was to cut a short piece of wire and crimp 2 male spades on either end of it. I then took this "seat presence bypass wire" and tie wrapped it to the wires that lead to the seat presence plug. Now if, or when I get stuck, all I have to do is flip the seat forward, unplug the plug from the safety switch and plug the bypass wire into the safety plug.

I can then run the drive tires forward nice and slow and get unstuck. Unfortunately you're still going to have to be pulled out of some situations. That's why I still carry a 25 foot tow strap with me at all times. :p

Just be sure to put your safety system back to normal before using the mower again.

I hope this tip helps someone here some day.

Vic

2. thegreenjeansman

thegreenjeansman LawnSite Member

BOY I HOPE YOU NEVER GET STUCK IN THE MUD WHILE YOUR NOW UNMANED Z TRYS TO MAKE A RUN FOR THE NEAREST HOUSE, I TAKE MY RAMPS OFF THE TRAILER SLIDE BEHIND THE TIRES AND BACK UP,USALLY FIND A HARD SPOT IN A COUPLE FOOT, PLAYING WITH MY SAFTY SYSTEM SOUNDS A LITTLE SCARY AND WOULD PROBABLY COST ME MY WARRENTY JUST BOUGHT MY Z AT FIRST OF THE SEASON. MY RAMPS ARE EASY SLIP ON AND OFF METAL WITH THE AIR HOLES ALL THREW THEM, ONE RINSE AND YOU NEVER KNOW THEY WERE DOWN, WHAT DO YOU DO ABOUT THR RUTS THAT ARE LEFT? THAT ONE PROBLEM THAT STILL BUGS ME, RUT REPAIR-OUGHT TO START A NEW THREAD.

3. griffin16

griffin16 LawnSite Member

Last year I got a Toro z stuck in the mud/swampy grass. I had to back my truck over the front lawn, side lawn, past the pool in the back yard and over to the F-N mower. Thank god nobody was home.

4. Meadowbrook

Meadowbrook LawnSite Senior Member

Yup, I do that with all of my mowers after I buy them. My mowers just have a breaker built in so when you stand up, the blades shut off. Quite annoying since no yard is as smooth as glass, bypassed the switches and I'm a happy camper.

Chris

5. ProStreetCamaro

ProStreetCamaro LawnSite Platinum Member

It happened to me about 10 times last year. We had a record rain fall here in maryland. Over 67" of rain. I had my dad sit on the mower and give is gas while i pushed. One time when i was by myself I ended up power lifting the mower and moving it to the side where it wasnt as wet. My back hurt for 3 months strait after that. Pinched the sciatic nerver <<<<Dont mind my spelling.

6. mowerman90

mowerman90 LawnSite Bronze Member

Another way to achieve the same results and make it a little easier is to locate your seat safety switch wiring and just splice a single pole toggle switch into one of the wires and mount it some where easy to get to.

7. Victor

Victor LawnSite Bronze Member

Greenjeans.....if you'll reread my post, you'll see that I said that I set my drive wheels to slowly turn, I set them to slowly turn so that my ZTR doesn't "make a run for the nearest house." Is there anything else that you don't think I've considered that you can help me with? :)

Using a bypass wire on my mower simulates having my body weight on the seat. In no way would it do damage to the mower. It presents the same conditions that are present when I'm sitting in the seat.

Mowerman, I like your idea about the toggle switch. I didn't do that though, because that's something a repair shop could see (the switch, or where the splice had been made if I removed the switch prior to the mower being worked on). If I cut the tie wrap and remove the bypass wire, the shop would never know it was there.

Vic

8. mowerman90

mowerman90 LawnSite Bronze Member

Victor,
    I'm not trying to be a smart @ss but.........
    You need to develop a better working relationship with your dealer. i.e. tell him to just look the other way. I mean, after all, YOU are the one shelling out the BIG BUCKS to keep him in business.

9. LynyrdSkynyrd

LynyrdSkynyrd LawnSite Member

I always carry a tow strap.
    I have gotten stuck twice so far this year. Lucky both times were just in a ditch that the mower slide into. Not bad to get out using a wooden fence post.

With all of the rain last year. It seemed as if i were getting stuck at every week. I thought about buying a 3000 ATV winch and mounting it to a plate that could be strapped to the mowers front caster supports. Then just run a lead from the battery to plug into. If things turn out as wet as last year. I may go ahead and do it. For most of the sticking was out of reach of the truck and tow strap and I do not like pushing on the machines if I can get away from it.