Gettin' rid of Leaves

Discussion in 'Pesticide & Herbicide Application' started by battags, May 6, 2003.

1. battags

battags LawnSite Senior Member

I have a customer who has a heavily wooded back lot. Over the years they have continually piled tons of leaves in the wooded area. The ground is now so saturated and the piles of leaves are so high, that the roots of several trees are rotting. Hauling them out is not an option at this point.

I know lime is used to speed decomposition. Does anyone know of any other applications that may rapidly speed the process? (short of a book of matches, that is!)

Thanks!

2. John Gamba

John Gamba LawnSite Fanatic
    from ct

You Might Want To rototill Them. And If You add Grass It speeds It Up Some.
    John

3. Tvov

Tvov LawnSite Bronze Member
    from CT

It must be a lot of leaves in a small area. Usually leaves will break down quickly. What about trying to spread them out? Maybe with blowers?

Or, just tell the customer to not dump back there for a few years, the leaves should break down on their own.

4. battags

battags LawnSite Senior Member

Were talking about an area of about 3500 sq. ft. with leaves about 2 ft. thick. They are wet and packed down and there is lots of mud underneath. I doubt I can get a tiller with enough power back there without getting stuck.

They definately have to come out of there somehow. They're holding so much moisture into the soil that the roots of some trees are rotting. Medium sized trees can literally be pushed over and uprooted.

Anything other than Lime, chemical or organic, that will speed up the process? I'm really hoping to get some more responses, so if you read keep your thoughts comming.

Thanks,
    Battags

5. fblandscape

fblandscape Banned

If you say that there is a lot of moisture, matted down leaves and such... I would suggest going back there with you and a couple other guys, bring some pitchforks and fluff up the leaves as best you can. Add a good amount of fertilizer to speed up the decomposition a bit. It sounds like you have anaerobic conditions which does not favor decomposition one bit. Definately get some air into those leaves.