gettin' wheelbarrows up to the dump bed...

Discussion in 'Landscape Architecture and Design' started by Kohls Landscaping Co, Mar 11, 2006.

1. Kohls Landscaping Co

Kohls Landscaping Co LawnSite Member

I was wondering if you guys had any ideas or how you dump full wheelbarrows up into the dump beds of a dump truck? I bought a 1 ton dump truck but the bed is a lot higher than the bed of a pick-up. I have the aluminum ramps that work great for the 1/2 ton truck.

1. Buy the metal attachments that you can hook up 2x8 boards to?
    2. Do they make metal or aluminum ramps that are a lot longer than the typical ones?
    3. The ramps that come with U-hauls would be be perfect but are heavy take up a lot of space? If so, do you know where you could buy new or used ones?
    4. I've seen pictures of guys who put the ramps on their trailers which would work. But, it seems like a lot of trouble and my trailer will be with the mower crew most of the time.

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Thanks!
    Dave

2. CAG

CAG LawnSite Senior Member
    from ct

those would be some pretty long ramps. plus i don't think that you would be able to wheel it up.. my new dump is probably 4 feet high.I would say a big job use a loader.. small jobs like digging out some soil just pull the truck up to where you are digging and wing it in the dump in one shot..

3. jc1

jc1 LawnSite Bronze Member

I use 2x10s with the brackets you mentioned set on the tail gate down. They are 12 footers and we only use 2 wheeled wheel barrows. After putting too much in them the first 2 or 3 times you remember to fill them less.

4. Squizzy246B

Squizzy246B LawnSite Senior Member

Dig a hole and park your truck in it!....:rolleyes:

:) :) :laugh:

Sorry, couldn't help myself

5. akerr

akerr LawnSite Member

Use the landscaper's most valuable tool a 5 gallon bucket. This only works for small amounts of soil/spoils. You could also not fill the barrow completely full and have one person on each end and lift it up and dump it on it's side into the bed.
    Just a few ideas
    Adam

6. Squizzy246B

7. AGLA

AGLA LawnSite Bronze Member

If you have a mower trailer, use that with a plank going up from there.

8. jreiff

jreiff LawnSite Senior Member
    from MN

Squizzy, you have one or ever used one? Look like they would work pretty well.

Know how much they cost?

9. Squizzy246B

We are testing a few different brands but only one rental place has one here and its a model too small. Bill (Uniscaper) has ordered two of the tracked type.

10. cgland

cgland LawnSite Bronze Member

We use 2x10's if the need arises. Most of the time we have a loader on site, but for the small jobs with limited access we use the boards w/ the ramp kits on them.

Chris