Getting a 52" into a truck bed

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by grassyfras, Feb 27, 2006.

1. grassyfras

grassyfras LawnSite Bronze Member

Ok guys need some help and adivce on this one. I'm trying to find a way not to use my trailer as much this year. I think it costs too much in gas and is just a big hassel to get and put away everyday. My goal is to get my 52" hydro up on ramps and put it over the wheel wells in my truck, leaving room below it for a trimmer. Anyone think this would be a good idea or somewhat easy to do. I just hate driving and parking with a trailer. I also have it on my street a lot and want to spare the neighbors from seeing it all the time. Thanks

2. cgland

cgland LawnSite Bronze Member

I think you will hate it less when you drop your mower from 4 feet and it either hurts you badly or damages the mower. Not a good idea IMO. especially for a 52"

chris

3. mrbray101

mrbray101 LawnSite Senior Member

well whats the purpose of a trailer if you dont use it. Shouldnt be that much of a hassle, what if you need to pick up fallen branches, leaves, etc. where would you put them. Also, ive put a walk behind in a truck before, it is no fun loading and unloading on ramps unless youve got an actual ramp added onto the truck. But if you are going to use just the truck, i would suggest searching around here, ive seen some people with really nice truck setups with built on ramps/trimmer racks etc. good luck to you.

4. mulcahy mowing

mulcahy mowing LawnSite Senior Member
    from ma

get a 5x8 and put it on side ways it's better than i bigger trailer. wont fit in the truck easy

5. BSDeality

BSDeality LawnSite Silver Member

A lot of the "no-name" guys around here carry two scag 52"s in their trucks around here. Some just pop it over the wheel wells, I've seen others that have cut out part of the wheel wells so they can just walk it right in. Personally I wouldn't do either.

6. B&D Lawn Care

B&D Lawn Care LawnSite Senior Member

The only way I would do it is a one time long distance deal but on a day to day, job to job. I don't think so.

7. David Grass

David Grass LawnSite Senior Member

I used to load my 44 into my toyota and fly all around town. Very efficient!!! I thought about getting another toyota, and taking the bed off, and having a custom built ramp system with angle to load my walker or my 54 Hustler. That would totally kick! Your low gas costs and ease and speed of going from A to B would be worth it in my opinion.

8. lawncare18

lawncare18 LawnSite Senior Member

Last summer working in ct I saw guys all the time with tow mowers in the back of pickups or even in the back of stak rack trucks and these were some prety big companys... I always figured they did it cause the narrow roads in ridgefiled and fairfield cty. as well as trafic be much easier id think..

9. zim bob the landscaper

zim bob the landscaper LawnSite Bronze Member

when i got my bunton 52" we put it in the back of a truck let me tell you its a PITA and we were puting it in a 3/4 ton truck it can be done but its not fun IMO

10. zim bob the landscaper

zim bob the landscaper LawnSite Bronze Member

a 52" will fit in 5x8 thats what we have and we put the 52" and a 42" lawn tractor on it at the same time